• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Howdy from Texas

BurbWithNoName

Reaction score
Hello all!

Soon enough I'll be taking custody of GoLions95Burban's rig. He suggested I join up here as you guys have a wealth of knowledge about the 6.5. My current daily is a 1990 3/4 ton burb with a 350. Pulls my camp trailer and 18' just fine, but she really struggled with a 21' rv. This will be my first diesel so I may need to lean on the group a bit.

Thanks

Hello all!

Soon enough I'll be taking custody of GoLions95Burban's rig. He suggested I join up here as you guys have a wealth of knowledge about the 6.5. My current daily is a 1990 3/4 ton burb with a 350. Pulls my camp trailer and 18' just fine, but she really struggled with a 21' rv. This will be my first diesel so I may need to lean on the group a bit.

Thanks

You will be better off towing the RV with the 350. On the OEM turbo I bet the MPG will be the same towing: the 350 and the 6.5TD both getting around 7 MPG.

Unless the 6.5TD has a bigger turbo (bigger turbo gets better MPG towing) and all the cooling system updates, HO water pump, 9 blade or Duramax fan, low temp fan clutch... I wouldn't tow with it until that's done.

Now as a Daily Driver they aren't bad. It's not a modern diesel, but, stuck in the same "gutless era" the 1990's were for GM pickup and suburban engines. Even a 454 is gutless in that era.

Now after you make some major changes the 6.5TD will lean you back into the seat like NOTHING in this gutless era would do. Unless, of course, you warmed it up as well.

Another good mod is to upgrade the brakes if not already done. Get the 1 ton rotors (and IIRC calipers?) for up front, and the 1 ton proportioning valve for the rear. Recommend not doing slotted or drilled rotors. After these changes, the front rotors will warp less frequently, and the rears will actually work.

Another recommended mod: Invest in noise canceling headsets and an intercom system.

Mostly likely you're better off pulling with the 350 unless you do those mods @WarWagon mentioned to prevent overheating and also increase size of exhaust and intake, and maybe an hx35 turbo and a tune(to use that addl boost) to pull more than 9k lbs faster than 25-35 mph up 5-7% grades (close estimate depending on weight of trailer).
However am basing this off of a heavy ambulance home without trailer attached

Source: My ambulance weighs 13550 lbs year round and I have those upgrades and at least don't overheat climbing hills like a 🐌🐌. I get poor performance with a stock tune, all stock intake/exhaust. If I sustain a boost of >8 psi for over a couple minutes, ect temp starts to go above 210° and egts climb to 1200 territory. I'm gonna start with letting it breath 🫁 easier next.
Some things for you to research anyways

Welcome. If you can give the 6.5 a chance you may be pleasantly surprised. A Texas diesel needs to keep even cooler than more moderate temp states tho less 'hilly'. Do a Dmax fan and fan clutch mod and a quality T-stat replacement. Try her out. Maybe flush out the Rad with new coolant.

Back