• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to Diagnose Tired Injection Pump

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are procedures and measurements(via scanner) to determine whether or not my IP is in good shape or on it's way out. I would like to have some solid indicators prior to changing it.:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Mike

Just wanting to check it out. It's the original pump, and I have had lousy fuel mileage and seemingly intermittent power. No real issues, just preventative. I want to pull the camper a fair bit this summer, so I want all hands on deck so to speak.

Good to hear from you!

To my knowledge the only way to test a tired pump is when the truck refuses to start after reaching operating temp and you pour warm water over it.

But considering the power of EFI im sure there is a way to test it.

Mike, fuel rate at idle should be 7-10 mm3 give or take a bit. Try to hold the rpm's at 2000, if it will hold steady the IP is probably good.

Leo

Climb slowly to the 2000 RPM mark, and desend slowly.......It should be smooth with NO hiccups, and it shouldn't run up or die down, just smooth......This was explained to me as per Bill Heath.

Back