• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do I run the stock wastegate on the HX35w on my 6.5?

Mikedizzle

Reaction score
I got a holset hx35w and in the position I had to turn the housing I cant mount the wastegate now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Had several issues with it unfortunately and decided to part it out. Bought the truck in my sig, I have plans of making it 6.2 or 6.5 powered come summer time

I saw racedaymechanics turbo install, who I purchased the downpipe kit from. But his turbo is an ebay turbo and the wastegate comes mounted in the side like that brand new. I have a genuine holset and the wastegate actualy mounts on the top of the cold side and runs back to the hot side. When I put it in the position that it needs to be in to go on my 6.5 the mounts dont line up anymore so thats what Im trying to figure out what to do lol. Heres a couple pics of what Im taking about.

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 7
  • turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
Yeah I had te same problem mounting mine. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it. Could make a custom bracket that bolts to the wastegate mounting positions and runs over to where you need it. I went a little bit lazy and cut a price of aluminum out of a damaged cummins intercooler and drilled a hole in it, found out where I wanted it, then welded it to the compressor housing and made my own wastegate controller. Looks terrible, works amazing haha

Some guys make their own version of a Turbo Master. You didn't say what year your truck is so if its a DB2, you can weld the wastegate shut and adjust the fueling to get the boost you want. I don't use my wastegate anymore, just adjust the pump to suit my needs.

I was going to give my input.... but then I looked at your pics and yours is really different than my 35 hot side.. here is how I did mine but yours looks strange...

attachment.php

What year truck did ya get it from? Might be able to use a mounting bolt and fab a bracket there, it's going to take some trial & error me thinks, but you should be able to get it..

One more question, what kind of coating is that on the turbine side??

What did you do with the wastegate? And the guy I got it from said the turbo was powder coated but it's not. Seems like high temp paint to me

I put an HX35W on my 6.5. If my memory serves me correctly the turbo came off a 2000 Cummins, and the wastegate control looks just like the one the OP has. I ended up making a new bracket to hold the stock Holset pot, and mounting it from two of the bolts that hold the hot side housing to the center section.

Sorry, I'm not able to find pics of the new bracket.

Don

I put an HX35W on my 6.5. If my memory serves me correctly the turbo came off a 2000 Cummins, and the wastegate control looks just like the one the OP has. I ended up making a new bracket to hold the stock Holset pot, and mounting it from two of the bolts that hold the hot side housing to the center section.

Sorry, I'm not able to find pics of the new bracket.

Don

Sounds like what I was describing in my previous post

Similar. The wastegate is controlled by boost pressure. I don't know what that pressure is though. I occasionally tow a 24 ft travel trailer and have never seen the boost gauge hit 15 lbs, although it will it will go just over 14 once in a while..

Don

Back