• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hitch Height

sfish

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put a new hitch on my truck and I need to figure out what drop shank I should get for my Equalizer Hitch. To the bottom of the old hitch it was 14/and half inches. The bottom of the new reciever it is 20/and half inches. I dont want to buy the wrong one.Thanks

Hey Steve...:wavey:
I've asked in the past what the 'standard' ball height is for trailers and got the answer of 17 1/2" to the top of the ball. I'd say it depends on the trailer requirements. This topic can have more than one answer depending on what you need to tow, and I'm sure you want to be able to tow anything.

I have more than one drop hitch for trailers, but have pretty much settled in on the 8" drop. That is on for my enclosed work trailer.
I also run 285 tires with airbags, so I'm a bit taller from the stock 245's.
An adjustable unit for trailers may be the ticket for an 'all in one solution'. Make sure of towing capacities though.

As far as the EQualizer hitch...after getting taller tires my truck needed a taller shank to make up for it.

For setting the EQ, lower by a bit won't hurt...but being short and ending up too high up front surely will. You can always go up a hole or use the airbags to make up a little. Trailer geometry gives some folks fits...

I'll try to get you some measurements tomorrow if my wifey doesn't have me too busy getting ready for company...

Good to see you on bud!

Back