• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High capacity drop hitch

Bagofdimes

Recruit
Reaction score
I just purchased a 24' enclosed v nose. It weighs 3740# and has 2 5200# torsion axles. I am towing it from Georgia to California in a couple weeks as I am moving for work. I plan on taking as much of my stuff as possible. I have many tools, gangboxes, quads, etc, so the GVW could be quite high. I am having trouble finding a hitch and ball locally that is rated for over 6000#. I need a 4" drop to get the trailer perfectly level. I am trying to get a set up rated for at least 10K, preferrably 12 or 14K...

Any thoughts?

Here is a link to a set up I saw on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alum...022QQitemZ350062007562QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any thoughts on this? Would you guys trust aluminum?

Thanks

Wow looks nice. 14000k from an aluminum hitch is nice. I'm thinking I might have to buy one of these too but with a 6" drop.

I think the same guy is selling the 6" drop too. The prices are right too. Guess I'm just surprised that an alum. hitch can have such a high capacity.

That looks pretty sweet...but something tells me that trailer is gonna be a sow by the time you load it. You may want to consider some type of EQ with anti sway.

Our custom hitches have that high of a capacity....and they look a lot cooler...PM for a price quote....just for information though they aren't flimsy aluminum they are 1" plate steel so they are heavy. I have about 6 different styles or so to choose from and can make custom ones if you like

Last edited:
Here is a link to a set up I saw on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alum...022QQitemZ350062007562QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks
I bought my utility trailer from R & P and Paul is a real good guy. I was talking to him about that aluminum mount and he was insistant that it was every bit as good as advertised. I just told him no offense meant but my engineering and farming background simply wouldn't let me believe it.
I went with a 2" drop from Putnam but then I have an adjustable trailer tongue.

Our custom hitches have that high of a capacity....and they look a lot cooler...PM for a price quote....just for information though they aren't flimsy aluminum they are 1" plate steel so they are heavy. I have about 6 different styles or so to choose from and can make custom ones if you like

I have seen some of your hitches and they are way cool.

I ended up finding one at a local RV shop. Thanks for the lead though.

That looks pretty sweet...but something tells me that trailer is gonna be a sow by the time you load it. You may want to consider some type of EQ with anti sway.

Is that kinda like load levelers for pulling tag a long RV's? It will definately be a sow when loaded...not looking forward to the fuel bill for 2500 miles:queasy:

Definitely - the load levelers help spread the load onto the frame of the truck rather than all the weight being back on the bumper. Fuel mileage will be the least of your worries if you don't have control of that trailer.

Not trying to scare you, just help make you aware. Even if you don't buy an EQ hitch, I would recommend you find either a bud that has one, or find a rental. You'll be happy you did.

You'll probably end up with one anyhow with a trailer like that.

I just purchased a 24' enclosed v nose. It weighs 3740# and has 2 5200# torsion axles. I am towing it from Georgia to California in a couple weeks as I am moving for work. I plan on taking as much of my stuff as possible. I have many tools, gangboxes, quads, etc, so the GVW could be quite high. I am having trouble finding a hitch and ball locally that is rated for over 6000#. I need a 4" drop to get the trailer perfectly level. I am trying to get a set up rated for at least 10K, preferrably 12 or 14K...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the DT(dual ball) adjustable 6" drop model... No issues with it what so ever...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Does your trailer have a 2" ball or 2 5/16 ths", with two 5200 lbs it should have a 2 5/16 th, if it does look for a gooseneck ball, I think some of them are rated at 30,000 lbs.

But if you only have a 2" ball I don't think they make one rated over 6000lbs. but I may be wrong, just haven't seen one.

With the weight you are talking about pulling I don't think you will have a problem if you load the trailer right. Thats the key. Good luck

Last edited:
you can get a rapid hitch. i tow my toyhauler with one...has the 2 in ball and the 2 5/16 ball. nice looking too

images

I know a few people who tow frequently with the aluminum drops, so far no problems (except they seem to be more likely to be stolen if not locked!).

I found a high-rated (12k lb IIRC) ball mount at a local parts store. It may have been a Putnam. Couldn't find it last time I needed it, so I've been using a home-made one ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back