• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help?

zipty06

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a 90 F-250 7.3 IDI 4x4 5 spd. It broke down last night on me and can't figure out what's going on. Driving down the road and it just shut off, I was able to get it in a parking lot and it acted like it was out of fuel even though the gas gauge said 1/4 tank (can't trust the gas gauge). So I got 5 gals of fuel and put in and checked and it was getting fuel. Had a guy try to jump me off since I was trying to crank it so much the batteries were going down fast. It acts like it wants to fire and a smoke comes out the tailpipe but it won't turn over.

Replaced the glow plugs 2 weeks ago and the controller.

Do you think it maybe be the injector pump?

Thanks in advance!

A buddy of mine just went through this with his 7.3. It ended up being electrical. A problem with the ground wire corroding on the frame and a few other minor wiring issues. He is back running again.

And by the way, welcome to the forum! ;)

The 90 7.3 has a mechanical injection pump and with smoke coming out of the exhaust Id say it has fuel coming out of it. The only thing electrical that would keep it from going is the shutoff solenoid on the IP. It needs to have power with IGN on and you should hear it click when power pulls the plunger up, or take it off and verify the plunger pulls up with 12V.

If fuel is there and no start there could be a loss of compression. Maybe a head gasket or some valves sitting open.

Otherwise getting air into the fuel lines, inspect everything from tank to IP. Rusty lines, etc....Your transfer/lift pump operation.

Last edited:
Back