• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help please i think i have a glow plug problem

gcxcountrystar1

Reaction score
I replaced my glow plugs sunday afternoon didnt have any trouble. went to work monday morning, did some errands, did some errans today, went to go out this evening glow plug light doesnt even come on. all fuses are good. fuel filter was replaced 1000 miles ago. does anyone have any ideal what the problem might be.

did the voltage gauge move? can you hear the solenoid click? its an easy way to confirm if they're coming on. I could just be a burnt bulb or broken wire going to it. remember the KISS method.

volt gague does move dont hear the solinoid click, i just ordered the glow plug relay hoping that is what is wrong

probably never has then:hihi:. 15 years of service is pretty good. when mine was going out(before I changed over to manual setup) it would give erratic glow times, sometimes only a couple of seconds(cold start) and went it finally bit the dust it stayed on for 30 seconds of so.:eek: kiss that set of glows goodbye.

The aged controllers will also short cycle the plugs and not keep em red hot.

Now you have the dash volt meter indicating that you are getting glow plug activity, but no light. I assume the engine is starting ok. So you have a bad bulb or connection to the bulb. You could have shorted a part of the glow plug harness and burned the fusible link that feeds the bulb and some (a bank of) glow plugs.

Make sure the Glow fuse is not blown. the light in the dash runs off the power on the output of the controller to the glow plugs, so if no light and fuse is good it actually means the glows aren't getting power either. Not trying to fire up sounds like no fuel. If youre having electrical problems I would suspect the Fuel/Engine Shutoff Solenoid may not be getting power. Make sure the ESO has 12V with the ignition on.

If the volts are dropping to 10 then the glows are working I'd say. The glows or the starter are the only things that can cause such a large voltage drop. Could be that the "glow plugs" indicator on the dash is just burned out.

Check the bulb. Odds are the GP controller is fine.

What fuses are in the panel under the steering column, well not exactly under the column but under the dash behind the removable panel. If the Glow fuse is blown it just doesnt provide power to the light, or similarly if light is blown the glows should still work as far as I know on the older manual controllers. It could be the controller is bad. Although if the Glow fuse is popped, maybe FSOL/FSO/ESO/IP fuse is also, whatever the pre-EFI name for that Engine Shutoff Solenoid fuse is. I dont have all the drawings for something older than 94.

Back