• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heavy Dually Shocks - KYB Monomax vs Bilstein

gardnerteam

Cantankerous Old Curmudgeon
Reaction score
While I do not plow, my dually will have a very front end with the addition of my 1/2" plate DeerProof front bumper complete with Warn 15000 winch - a package of about 650 or so lbs. Have had it on several trucks with green keys and Bilsteins, but this time keeping stock Keys and about a 1.5" lower setting, plus running 235X16 10 ply tires vs 245X19.5 14 ply. So, question is which front is heavier duty - KYB, which has been talked about here by a lot of guys carrying plows, or Bilstein, given the weight problem.
Rear of my truck carrys a lot of weight as well, with 134 gals of fuel, Leer no window canopy, 300 lbs of tools, and a 1/2" thick special built U channel bumper to kill people who get to close for comfort (actually never killed anybody, but did drive a Mecury motor through the firewall into the passenger compartment and take the drivers right leg off when she hit me at 50 mph while I was stopped at a stoplight. Skinned my bumper and damaged my tailgate. Totalled her car and put her in the hospital for a couple months. Her fault, her insurance paid.) I also usually have 1500 lbs of tongue weight from my triple axle stacker car hauler as well.
So, enlighten me as to the benefits of the most HD or best shock. I know and like Bilsteins, but if KYB does the same or better job for less money, I listen. Thanks in advance.

I put the KYBs on my truck last winter, only because they were advertised as being appropriate for diesel trucks with heavy front end weight. Did the fronts first and have been quite happy with them. Waited to do the rear and in the meantime I added 5k airbags in the back. Seems like I'm in no hurry to replace the rear shocks now that the bags are back there. Rides so nice I'm not going to change the old rear shocks until they fall off.

I put the bilstien's on my 3500 last year, i'm very happy with them and the ride has improved so much you'd think it's a different truck. :thumbsup:
Don

I put the KYBs on my truck last winter, only because they were advertised as being appropriate for diesel trucks with heavy front end weight. Did the fronts first and have been quite happy with them. Waited to do the rear and in the meantime I added 5k airbags in the back. Seems like I'm in no hurry to replace the rear shocks now that the bags are back there. Rides so nice I'm not going to change the old rear shocks until they fall off.

For SnG's pull one of the rear shock bolts and verify that they work. If they are blownout and you think your ride is good now, new shocks may make it that much better!

I run a real heavy plow, and I absolutely love my Monomax's. Never tried Billsteins, but very happy with the Kyb's.

I bet you'll be happy with either. FWIW my plow weighs over 1000lbs. Rides really nice with it up.

The other thing to think about is timbrens, they may be ideal for someone like you adding 650lbs of permanant weight.

Back