• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Having issues with push button transfer case, no 4 wheel drive. Advise please.

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
Well ive been having issues with getting my 4 wheel drive to work. So far I replaced the encoder motor and the 6 pin plug connecting to it, both ends were melted. I switched out the t case control module under the dash with a used one. All fuses appear good.

Nothing happens when i press the buttons, the 4x4 buttons only light up when i turn the key then they go right off and stay off.

Im thinking I need a new t case switch that screws in the top of the t case or maybe the front axle actuator? Not sure, hoping i can get some advise before I start throwing parts at it. Thanks.

Sure sounds like you've got a wire grounding out somewhere but not enough to pop the fuse. Melted plugs and indicator lights not staying on make me think that. To eliminate the front actuator as a problem you could unplug the electrical connector to it and then see if you can shift into 4lo.

The most common problem I heard about is the switches in the dash. If you could get a junkyard version to try so it's not so expensive it would be an easy check. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

Remove switch & jumper across it to see if it engages, pretty much a on/off scenario, exception you have to be in N for 4L to engage, jumper across the switch, and see if getting 12V to the actuator plug at the xfer case solenoid, check also for black to gnd at plug to frame in ohm scale on your meter to see if gnd is good for it; , also test across switch in ohm scale to see if switch is good.

I'm having issues with my 4x4 engaging although mine is manual select floor shift. I do have the schematics and the GM Checklists that tells you what voltages you should have at which plug with selctor levers/switches pushed etc. I could scan them and post here if you like as the manual has both push button and floor shift lists. I ask as I've seen riducule for those who simply post such stuff. :nonod:

Your call, no problem to do it as I like to print up the pages needed to use under my truck rather than schlep the whole 10lb book around.:agreed:

I'm having issues with my 4x4 engaging although mine is manual select floor shift. I do have the schematics and the GM Checklists that tells you what voltages you should have at which plug with selctor levers/switches pushed etc. I could scan them and post here if you like as the manual has both push button and floor shift lists.

sounds like your TLA

I'm having issues with my 4x4 engaging although mine is manual select floor shift. I do have the schematics and the GM Checklists that tells you what voltages you should have at which plug with selctor levers/switches pushed etc. I could scan them and post here if you like as the manual has both push button and floor shift lists. I ask as I've seen riducule for those who simply post such stuff. :nonod:

Your call, no problem to do it as I like to print up the pages needed to use under my truck rather than schlep the whole 10lb book around.:agreed:

Yes! please post the schematics. Ive been thinking about looking them up but didnt know where to start. Thank you very much, this will help get the ball rolling here.

View attachment 4x4 push button checklist.pdf

Here's the check list, for what it's worth. There's a couple more schematics that ago with the system but AKDieseldriver posted the main one you'll need to look at. Email sent via TTS to see if you want the whole shebang in one file (2.18mb).

Hang in there. I replaced the actuator with the upgraded set up (mechanical, not thermal) but there must be something else going on because I'm still 4x4 challenged.:???: But, that's for another thread.

View attachment 35754

Here's the check list, for what it's worth. There's a couple more schematics that ago with the system but AKDieseldriver posted the main one you'll need to look at. Email sent via TTS to see if you want the whole shebang in one file (2.18mb).

Hang in there. I replaced the actuator with the upgraded set up (mechanical, not thermal) but there must be something else going on because I'm still 4x4 challenged.:???: But, that's for another thread.

Mechanical actuator?? Cable actuated?

Thanks for the check list, need that first.

Do you have the check list for push button?

Mechanical actuator?? Cable actuated?

Thanks for the check list, need that first.

Do you have the check list for push button?
Mechanical Actuator vs Thermal. "New and Improved"....yeah right. Upgraded actuator with harness. Wired it but may have miss judged the importance of tying in to "CKT 241" by just hitting a key-on 12v source.

I'll do a bit more looking as it appears I duplicated another's error and sent you the mechanical check list. :eek: Stand by...

Happy to help...its what I do.

The manuals cost me all of $40 and a case of beer to the Parts Counter guys in Fayetteville NC. That was in 2007 and in all those years, these thngs have paid for themselves many times over. Happy reading.

Maybe the mods will be able to post the larger files up for the benefit of all.:thumbsup:

That's short for Circuit. That way they can split the wires on the schematics for clarity but keep them 'together' for reference on the vehicle.
Here's some 'on vehicle' references to help with the 4x4 schematics
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Back