• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

got some new seats

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
Sorry no pics right now. My 82 crewcab project has two vinyl bench seats in it. They are like new condition so I hate to pull one out, however the front seat on these trucks has always bugged me, it's like it isn't wide enough. If I sit behind the wheel I've got a cheek hanging off the side toward the door, then that side gets squished down and that aggravates the problem. Or you can sit to the right more, but then the wheel isn't in front of you. Anyone else noticed this? My 79 and 81 with bench were the same way.
Anyway, I decided I'd put highback buckets in, found a pair on Craigslist for short money, in almost perfect condition. Ad says they'll fit 73-96 (?) Chevy fullsize trucks. Go look at them and they are beautiful so I bought them, but until I pull the old seat out and look at the floor I won't know how they're going to work. It looks like four bolts hold them down and if the floor isn't level I'll just have to build a couple little brackets to level it off.
So I ask the kid what they came from and how he knows they'll fit all those year Chevys. He had no idea what they came from but he guessed Astro van. I guess he bought them for a K5 Blazer and he test fit them but ended up using something else.
Hope I can get them in and use them, they match the interior color perfectly and are in great shape. They have a nice ribbed cloth/velour type finish, two fold down armrests each and both fully recline.
Also, I have two GM center consoles, one from a 90 Suburban and one from a late 90s pickup. I'll test fit both of them to see which works best, then try vinyl paint to make it match. I'm pretty psyched about this, it should look cool. It would be nice to recover the rear seat with cloth so it matches, but I'll probably leave it vinyl since the kids will be back there trying to ruin it.

I've got that same problem with the benches in mine. my '79 burb had the bucket seats. you could sit for 6 hours and you a$$ wasn't sore. I miss them.:sad:

Well, I certainly don't have a dainty ass. But I distinctly remember my 81 having this problem, and I think the 79 did too. I had an 83 ages ago, can't really remember that one being uncomfortable. Was a nice plush velour Silverado seat. But this 82 is ridiculous, easily as bad as my 81 was. Sitting behind the wheel you are literally sliding off toward the door. Or you have to sit off toward the middle, then you arent behind the wheel exactly.

Back