• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got room for 4 more gauges, but which ones?

great white

Reaction score
I've almost got my center console done and I've got room for 4 more gauges.

The question is, which ones make the most sense?

I've already got boost and egt covered.

I'm planning on putting in a fuel pressure (lift pump) and Transmission temperature (for towing) in two of the 4 spots, so that leaves two spots open.

I was thinking ECT since the stock one is reportedly grossly inaccurate and not sure what else makes sense for a truck that tows.

Oil temperature?

Trans pressure?

IAT?

What would be the most useful?

Ideas anyone?

I don't want to just stick a gauge in there for the sake of it. It needs to be useful information....
:thinking:

sorry, I didnt read close enough! :)

I would second engine oil temperature, the relatively small capacity would cause it to run a pretty high Engine oil temp.

the 14 bolt usually never has issues, but if you have the space, a diff oil temp might be nice too.

sorry, I didnt read close enough! :)

I would second engine oil temperature, the relatively small capacity would cause it to run a pretty high Engine oil temp.

the 14 bolt usually never has issues, but if you have the space, a diff oil temp might be nice too.

I thought about diff temps, but if I go oil temp there's no room left....:(

We'll since you have a H2O from GM I would not make it redundant, just make mental note anything above 210F on the GM one means something is out whack on your cooling.

I run trans T, Boost, EGT, in my pilar pod, I have single gage small beside steering column for fuel P, and another "temporary" (3 years temporary :) now) hanging from my cup holder for turbo drive pressure, I also have a MT2500 scanner I plug in when on a long drive for entertainment & monitoring (I get bored & scroll thru engine parameters), possibly a Scan Gage unit would suffice there.

For the 4th since oil cooler lines have been known to let go monitor of oil pressure,

IAT would be handy so you could drive by IAT & EGT I've also been looking at some aircraft gage mfrs that build custom gages, with 3 or 4 parameters monitored on a single gage, so 1 gage for pressures, another for temps, and maybe a paired EGT/IAT gage.

We'll since you have a H2O from GM I would not make it redundant, just make mental note anything above 210F on the GM one means something is out whack on your cooling.

I run trans T, Boost, EGT, in my pilar pod, I have single gage small beside steering column for fuel P, and another "temporary" (3 years temporary :) now) hanging from my cup holder for turbo drive pressure, I also have a MT2500 scanner I plug in when on a long drive for entertainment & monitoring (I get bored & scroll thru engine parameters), possibly a Scan Gage unit would suffice there.

For the 4th since oil cooler lines have been known to let go monitor of oil pressure,

IAT would be handy so you could drive by IAT & EGT I've also been looking at some aircraft gage mfrs that build custom gages, with 3 or 4 parameters monitored on a single gage, so 1 gage for pressures, another for temps, and maybe a paired EGT/IAT gage.

Good concerns Tim.

I've got a 7 inch touch screen in my new console. I've been toying with the idea of putting a carputer in the truck. I've got a program called Dashcommand from Palmerperformance that does all that scan guage can do for monitoring. Virtual dashboard guages and all.

Oil press is also in the GM dash like water, so that's kind of under the same logic as water temp.

I am leaning towards IAT since I'm keeping the stock vacuum wastegate control.

The bonus about the Auber guages I'm using is they can trigger a light or relay, which I'm planning to use for my repeater warning panel since the guages will be mounted below the dash or to trigger a realy into doing something about hitting a limit (IE: up the water injection, etc).

Trans temps and fuel pressure are teh two definate gauges going in.

I vote oil temp or oil pressure. I would say key indicators are EGT,ECT, and oil temp to truely know when a motor is overloaded. But oil temp is slow to top out and won't save you as an indicator. You would have to decipher the situation somewhat and learn how your truck reacts.

True oil pressure might suffice for oil temp as increase in oil temp will decrease oil pressure and the dash guage is notoriously inaccurate even worse than ECT. And I don't know but excessive oil temp might thin oil to show really low oil pressure on an accurate guage.

I'd do the carputer, then do your FP, Trans Temp, Oil Temp and Diff Temp in the console. That way you can see everything that the PCM sees, as well as the key temps and fuel pressure.

I don't think a diff temp would be too hard. Run the wire along the brake lines up to the frame. They don't carry any voltage, just read resistance. Put the probe in the cover.

if you are tied for room real bad, I did have a thread where I asked about putting each sending unit on a tang of a 3 pos toggle, then running it to a single oil temp guage, and was wondering if it affected the readings enough to affect it, since I have seen numberous pieces of farm equipment utilize something like this, I thought it would work.

The general consensus was that using a high quality toggle to ensure minimal resistance would ensure accuracy, IIRC. I would look for the thread, but I am on dialup, so I guess search is your friend.

good luck!

The oil pressure consideration was because the one GM supplies has been known to read way late; as in damage is done by time pressure bleeds down and alarms, plus all it does is shut off the lift pump a mechanical one would give real time monitoring, with GM OPS it's kind of like NASA stuff supplied by lowest bidder that just has to be functional not necessarily accurate :)

RTD in diff isn't that hard to install IIRC Mag Hi Tec has that as an option for their covers.

Back