• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gmc 2500hd duramax w/ allison tranny question

evans27292

Reaction score
i own an 07 gmc new model diesel truck.i was pulling an 8500lb camper in tow mode.driving speeds around 60-62mph.little after 4 hours of interstate driving,turned off and stopped at a light.after it turned the truck acted like it didnt want to go, high rpms and sluglish,finally took it out of tow mode seemed to help.got to campground 4 miles away , unhooked and called a dealer.took it in next morning ran fine.they hooked up to computor no problems.service manager said must of been a glitch.they reprogramed the engine and trainsmission computers. seems fine ,has anyone had this problem? the temp of trammy when it acted up was 193 degs.would it have been caused by overheating of transmission fluid and why now? i have towing package.

Welcome to the site...!

All these diesels have the towing package, as thats what they're designed to do.

It sounds like you might have a fuel filter that needs changing. Its often the most overlooked piece of maintenance. A clogged or near clogged filter can cause stumbling and hesitation problems, similar to what you describe.

Do you know when the last time it was changed?

Have you checked your air filter to see if thats clogged with dirt? They can look completely fine but trap all the dirt that they're inhaling.

And the air filter?

Is the truck completely stock? Are you running a programmer or anything?

No, it isnt. In fact, thats pretty much right where it should be at.

I think I've read about LMM trucks doing crazy things on occasion like this.

the air filter looks good . its stock /2 wheel drive. what do you mean by i limped it ?

Last edited:
The Allison will go into "Limp Mode" to protect itself if it thinks it is being subjected to driving conditions that can cause damage. 193F is not a temperature to worry about. Hopefully the dealer is right, keep us posted and we'll do all we can to help you troubleshoot.

i would get a new spin on filter from the dealer or allison or any parts store for that matter, change it. 23000 isnt a ton on them, but i have seen stupider things.

Welcome aboard!
You'll find this an easy place to hang out, so make yourself at home.
It sounds like you have the newer style (with regen)...I have the 2007 Classic Chevy...so I'm not so familiar with your emissions.
Did it throw a code? An error (something lit up) on the dash?
I went to AutoZone once because I had an error towing our large RV - they can hook a reader up to see what the error is for free. I'm surprised the dealer didn't see anything.

no codes and dealership couldnt find nothing. just reprogramed engine and trans computors.so far so good.

Have you changed the transmission spin on filter? These transmissions are very intolerable to dirty filters. If the filter gets clogged the trans can act very funny, slow shift, flairing, etc.

thanks, changed filter yesterday.had around 18,000 miles on it. how offen is a rule to change it ?

how offen is a rule to change it ?

Everyone has there own opinion on this. People have posted 30 to 40K on them. When ever a shifting problem comes up a new filter is about the easiest thing to eliminate first. As I said above I change mine every 10K. Overkill maybe but for the price and ease of the change I think its good insurance. Don't by the filter from the dealer they are a rip off. We have vendors here that can do much better on pricing.

I think *most* people change them at or around every 10k miles. I used to change mine at every other oil change but now since I run synthetic, I change my oil and spin on at around 10k miles.

Back