• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMC 1500 6.5l rear brakes question

Cody204

Reaction score
I somehow got a hole in my rear brake lines but when I went to buy new ones they told me 3/8" x24 thread and 3/16 tube size but I thought it looked quite small soo I went out and checked and well a 9/16 wrench fits. I guess my question is why are they different and where would I buy them? everywhere I look it says 3/8" x24 thread and 3/16 tube size any help would be awesome iv searched and came up with nothing

truck specs
1995 gmc sierra 1500 sle 6.5l diesel 4x4
as far as I know its stock has 400km tranny was rebuilt from previous owner runs awesome
I think 14 bolt semi floater it has c clips drums 11-5"

Rear axle lines? Or the rear frame run?

3/8 24 refers to the flare nut THREAD. Rear axle lines (tubes) are 3/16" in diameter..

haha dam I knew I forgot something its rear passenger side if that matter. So what your saying is the 3/8 thread has a 9/16 head? To me that's kinda odd no? When I went to Canadian tire what the guy showed me witch was 3/8" x24 thread and 3/16 tube size it was way small compared to mine

haha dam I knew I forgot something its rear axle passenger side if that matter. So what your saying is the 3/8 thread has a 9/16 head? To me that's kinda odd no? When I went to Canadian tire what the guy showed me witch was 3/8" x24 thread and 3/16 tube size it was way small compared to mine

GM used an oversize flare nut. Typically 3/16 brake line flare nuts in the aftermarket is 3/8 hex or wrench size. Your tube size should be 3/16...

I knew it was something simple iv never seen that but then again only other vehicle iv worked on is a jeep cherokee oh well learnt something new and ya tubing does look like 3/16 those ribs things thru me off they were full of dirt anyways thanks a lot ill go pick it up tomorrow

Back