• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GLE vs. GL4

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
I know lots of people are runnning the GL4, but has anyone tried the GLE and if so, how would it compare? Which is more practical for all around work/daily driver keeping in mind the price of that dang fuel.

I guess you're right about that. But that wasn't my question. I know that version is fairly new, so maybe there will be little response. I was just curious. Talk to someone at heath yesterday and the said it was a mileage gain of 2-3 mpg. Sounds all right to me.

bill told me that the GLE is fuel economy based and that the GL4 is performance based. the GL4 has more power after ~1/2 throttle as well i was told. call Bill and ask him. he should still be there as its 7pm here so its about 4 pm there.

He told me for how much I tow I should stay with the GLE. I should have mine by middle of next week. If you can wait that long I'll let you know how it is. I can't compare it to the GL4, but I can at least tell you if there is an improvement over stock.

He told me for how much I tow I should stay with the GLE. I should have mine by middle of next week. If you can wait that long I'll let you know how it is. I can't compare it to the GL4, but I can at least tell you if there is an improvement over stock.

i'll let you know how my GL4 is when it gets here. i should have it next week or so as well. its the best we can get to a comparison i real life i'd say. then again i drive like i stole it so maybe not. ):h

From what I heard from Ian when he was still at Heath was that the 2.0 got turned into the GLE and the HP4/GL4 is turned up a notch.

If that is the case (which I believe) - I went from a 17.1 1/4 mile with the 2.0 to a 16.7 with the GL4 and HO injectors....definately a noticeable improvement....a half a second in the 1/4 mile is an eternity....

That being said, the GLE (2.0) was a nice program too....

I think you'll want to remove your shift enhancer regardless of which chip you choose.

why, i also have a B&M shift plus. and HP4. truck runs great and shifts great. actually took a co-worker for a drive. he had to pick up some stuff he built at home for work. not having even left the parking lot he asked if the truck was chipped:D . YUP so i showed him how much. he was quite surprised. Ed

Where is Bill when you need him....

You only use the fuel you feed it, When Ian was still at heath he said there was very little if any mileage diffrence if driven the same. Like any chip it's when you punch it and overfuel the engine that you start losing mpg's. The biggest diffrence is in the last 25% of throttle.

Yet another hijack/sidenote thing. I saw Ian's truck in the latest Diesel World mag. It was part of a "shoot out" article, so no full story on it.

so? GLE or GL4?

Well, according to Heath, towing lots and looking for more moderate power, 35-45 hp, but also some fuel economy, the GLE is for you, but if your looking for more performance and "go baby go" type of thing, 40-55hp (correct me if I'm wrong), then the GL4. I think you need to be a little more careful how far you push the engine with the GL4. The EGT's are supposedly lower with the GLE too. Both have the Glow mod programmed in, I think.

Hope this helps :smile5:

Hi Paul,

I believe the price on the air box will be aroung $300.00 US, should only take a week or so to get once I ship. I would anticipate having the product ready to sell within a month. As for the difference between the HP4 and GL4 is strictly glow plug timing. The GL4 has a longer primary glow and longer post glows to aid in cold starts.

I plan on staying involved with Heath Diesel to a much smaller extent but will increase my activity on the web forums to help customers. I am actually going to set up a new email account for customers to contact me if they have any questions. I love my customers and these vehicles and don't want to leave everything behind. Also check out Diesel Power magazine next month if you can. They are doing a full feature on my personal truck for breaking the 300 HP mark at the wheels. If you can't find a copy of it next month let me know and I will arrange to get you one.

Regards,

Ian

Back