• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

General consensus of g80 locker.............

gnel

Reaction score
Just curious how the g80 locker works for you guys and gals? Durability? Does and donts?´Mine seems to work well. I rarely have to put it in 4 wheel drive. 14 bolt diff.

Thanks gus

Mine seem to allow a certain amount of wheel spin then it will lock. Mine sometimes allow quite a bit of spin before it locks. That makes for a pretty good thud.

Source Unknown

Known to fail esp when you need it. Most quietly just quit working while others locking under a good load simply go boom and scatter. Usually they go boom when locking up when you need the locking action. One tire on good traction, the other slipping, diesel torque, 1st gear, too much throttle... BOOM! it's own delay before locking helps with the BOOM feature. You are lucky yours actually works. It does have the nice safety feature of not locking up when you hit black ice while towing... Oh wait back to my first point of not working! (Seriously not locking up at speed is it's safety selling point. Keeps you in a straight line at speed as only one wheel usually spins not both. Say on ice or with enough power to break the wheels loose on dry pavement at a rolling 35 MPH.)

As always a good chunk of change thrown at it will solve the problem with something different or fixing the G80.

My truck only does 1 wheel peels! Mine has never worked in the 6 years I have owned the truck. Thinking about a Detroit Tru-Trac.

1998, original full floating axle, tows heavy and my 6.5 is not a lightweight for the breed.

G80 is still working ok. Gets the job done for me, never let me down in winter driving.

:)

But never turn your back on one. I've seen lots of them go kaboom. Admittedly, most were on 10 bolt axles and they were often used outside their design envelope (insert character profile type here) but I have seen a couple grenaded full floaters.

The G80 is meant to get you rolling from a stop on a slippery surface when one wheel has traction and one does not in day to day driving. It's not meant to mud bog, rock crawl, do burnouts, deal with big tires, big hp/trq, etc.....it will deal with those situ's, but it will let you know what you are doing wrong eventually....

the one at 242K in mom and dad's 98 K2500HD tries to grab on turns if you get on it. It is automatic operation, so I am required to dislike it to some point. :)

glad to hear it wont mess a guy up on ice at high speed. what about low speed? I got to go about 100 miles in Wyoming this spring on ice feathering the throttle up hills, as I was breaking traction with the open diff and highway tires. some hills I had to get down to second to stop wheelspin.

The G80 is not supposed to lock up over 20 MPH. So you can deal with the rear end stepping out while trying to get moving. But after you are going you just get single wheel spin.

I have had questionable tires in a good monsoon rainstorm doing 50 MPH freeway on a C1500. I was able to flick the MPH up to 75 with a 160 HP V6. Talk about a boat. This is where you don't want the rear end to lock the rear tires together.

Manual air locker...

no problem with mine. could feel it kick in all the time where we use to live, steep icy roads in 2wd. Kept me from needing 4wd in town when the roads were 1/2 icy 1/2 dry pavement.

Back