• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gauges for 6.5 turbo diesel???

heavrolet98

Reaction score
Im picking up my first diesel ever this weekend. Its a 97 GMC K2500. It has all the basic mods done and I'd like to install some gauges so I can keep an eye on everything and make sure everything is good. What would be the three gauges you would recommened and where/how would I install them. I am a mechanic and I am very capable I just have never installed any gauges I its a whole new thing for me. Any pics or advice of probe location and what not would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to TTS!

EGT, Trans and boost are good gauges to drive by and for diagnostics, fuel pressure at the IP inlet is also a good one to have.

About 240 for trans temp max.

You must have bought them? auctions are no longer available.

EGT probe is easy to mount under turbo in exhaust manifold, you will see a square pad cast into it. Drill and tap there.

It is on the high side, from what I have read high temps cause cumulative damage.

My gauge shows that as the yellow zone believe it or not.

I think it also makes a difference where the reading is taken from, ie: pan or after the TC. Mine is after.

Mine is in the pan and I rarely ever see 200 degrees or more, unless I'm in a lot of stop and go traffic with a bigger load. This past weekend, I saw 140-150 for about 6 hours of driving, and it got to 200 once I got to some stop and go toward home and it stayed there about a total of 5-10 minutes. I was probably grossing around 21,000#.

You must have bought them? auctions are no longer available.

EGT probe is easy to mount under turbo in exhaust manifold, you will see a square pad cast into it. Drill and tap there.

No I haven't bought them yet but I'm planning on it. So the egt is pre turbo when mounted in that location correct? That temp should never get over 1200 degrees correct? Where is the best place to mount the tranny temp sensor? In the pan or after the TC? Does anyone have any instructions on mounting the sensor in either location? Has anyone used the "boost bolt" from pmdcable.com for hooking up their boost gauge? Does it work? I dont really see how it couldn't. As far as the fuel pressure gauge at the IP, how would I hook that up? What kind of fuel pressure am I looking for there? Like I said I am totally new to diesels and hooking up aftermarket gauges so I need as much detailed info you can offer and pics are king. They help more than anything. Thanks guys.

No I haven't bought them yet but I'm planning on it. So the egt is pre turbo when mounted in that location correct?

That temp should never get over 1200 degrees correct?

Where is the best place to mount the tranny temp sensor? In the pan or after the TC?

Does anyone have any instructions on mounting the sensor in either location?

Has anyone used the "boost bolt" from pmdcable.com for hooking up their boost gauge? Does it work? I dont really see how it couldn't.

As far as the fuel pressure gauge at the IP, how would I hook that up? What kind of fuel pressure am I looking for there?

Like I said I am totally new to diesels and hooking up aftermarket gauges so I need as much detailed info you can offer and pics are king. They help more than anything. Thanks guys.

Sorry, I had to space it out. When it was all jammed up, it was difficult to read.

Yes, it will be pre turbo.

If the temp even gets that high it is time to slow her down. You get too hot you could burn things up.

When I did my last tranny temp gauge it came with very detailed instructions. But that was for a NV5600. I have never owned a Diesel with the auto. I am sure someone else will chime in on that.

The boost bolt along with anything else from PMD cable is top notch. I will use it when I start to purchase gauges.

Fuel pressure depends on a lot of variables. What kind of LP are you running? Is the tank clean? Do you have any leaks in the fuel lines or tank? It always varies. People see anywhere from 0 - 15 with the new style walbro.

You are at the perfect site for 6.5TD information.

I haven't picked the truck up yet. I'll be getting it on Sunday. I'm not sure yet what it has in it for a LP. I'm guessing its a stock replacement, not sure. When you say the new style walbro are you speaking about the LP? I haven't looked into LP's yet so I dont know whats really out there for replacements.

I haven't picked the truck up yet. I'll be getting it on Sunday. I'm not sure yet what it has in it for a LP. I'm guessing its a stock replacement, not sure. When you say the new style walbro are you speaking about the LP? I haven't looked into LP's yet so I dont know whats really out there for replacements.

So far the best replacement out there for the LP is what you can get from PMD Cable. It is a Walbro FRC 10-2, I do not have a fuel pressure gauge on my truck but some have seen as high as 15 psi.

I will say when it kicks on in my truck it changes the sound at idle and seems to run smoother. Well worth the money.

Yep that will work.

I want the same thing, I just want the phantom series instead.

Check out a site called egauges, good prices.

So from what I gather from pmdcable.com the walbro FRC-10 replaces the fuel filter housing on the back of the intake and you use the lift pump bypass fitting kit to eliminate the lift pump on the frame rail??? Kinda confused on this.

So from what I gather from pmdcable.com the walbro FRC-10 replaces the fuel filter housing on the back of the intake and you use the lift pump bypass fitting kit to eliminate the lift pump on the frame rail??? Kinda confused on this.

Nope,

The Walbro FRC-10-2 replaces the actual factory style LP that is currently on your truck.

You still would use the bypass fittings with the Walbro.

Here is a link to my install:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?30934-Walbro-FRC-10-and-Pre-Lift-Pump-Filter-Install

Hope this helps you out.

So i just read your thread and I think I'm pretty interested in installing the walbro pump and the pre-filter like yours. I'm guessing you got the whole setup(brackets, hardware, filter and housing, walbro pump) all from Leroy at PMDcable? Can you tell me about how much it all runs price wise? Do I just call him up and say I want the whole setup?

So i just read your thread and I think I'm pretty interested in installing the walbro pump and the pre-filter like yours. I'm guessing you got the whole setup(brackets, hardware, filter and housing, walbro pump) all from Leroy at PMDcable? Can you tell me about how much it all runs price wise? Do I just call him up and say I want the whole setup?

Sorry, just saw this. I have been traveling since Monday.

Just post in his section, send him a PM or call him up. It ran at or around $315 or so. I paid more than most since I live in Texas. His business is in Texas so it forced me to pay taxes.

The only thing the kit did not come with was Diesel hose. I purchased it from the local auto parts store.

Yes, just call him up and tell him you want the pre-lift pump filter, walbro LP, bracket, and fuel line adapters.

Wish you luck.

Back