• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gauge fuse...

Riddle_3d

Reaction score
what all does the gauge fuse control? after the flexplate being fixed, i went to start the truck, and the gauge fuse blew. replaced it, it blew again immediately. i also found out the hard way today that it is no longer charging. replaced the alternator, still no charge. where could this problem be coming from? fixed one problem for two more :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Check the cable from the Alt to the Battery. There is usually a fuzeable link in there that fries. Just replace it with another 10 guage wire until you can find a place to get a new link.

Here are the circuits for the gauges fuse. Check the fuel heater harness since its back there you might have bothered it and caused a bad wire to short. That or the glow controller harness.
94 Gauges Fuse schematic 1of3.jpg 94 Gauges Fuse schematic 2of3.jpg 94-95 GP schematic.jpg

i checked the voltage at the post of the alternator. both only show 11.4-12.0 at the highest. could it still be that fuseable link? also, would the short have to be in the pink/black wire to pop the fuse?

Check for continuity between the alternator post and the battery post, should be no resistance, like a reading of 0 or real low ohm, but not overload where its an open circuit. That would confirm the link is good.

For the short, yes it would be on the pink/black wire, you can remove the fuse and check for continuity (resistance) between that wire and ground, should be high resistance, but if there is real low ohms then its shorted somewhere. If you get on the engine you might be able to see if you pinched a wire somewhere around the bellhousing.

i have checked and confirmed there are no wires pinched. i checked for continuity to the gauge cluster today, and got two resistance readings, 92 ohms and 35 ohms. where should i start checking for this wire tomorrow when i get out there? where is it most likely to have shorted at? i dont think any of them go around the exhaust

Try unplugging the harness to the fuel heater, WIF and Glow Plug controller (not the large wires just the harness), the fuel heater has a pig tail that commonly shorts right at the enterance to the filter manager, so if its the pigtail unplugging it will eliminate the short.

Back