• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front Wheel Bearing/Hub... Can Bearing Be Changed?

CORVAIRWILD

Reaction score
In Arizona, buying another diesel Suburban
I need a new front wheel bearing on my '95 Sub, and noticed Auto Zone lists just the bearing (as well as hub assy). Is it removable? I used to run a shop, and would swap these without having to trash the whole hub/flange assembly.

2nd question... Does the '95 bearing hub fit a '93? I looked in the store, and except for the anti lock wiring, it looks the same, and is cheaper, even w the wiring stuff. I only looked at Timken, made in USA

I don't buy any garbage quality items from Autozone due to excessive failures of their "no" quality parts. After they fired the 'hero' employee that stopped an armed robbery with his own gun I don't set foot in an AZ anymore. I suggest you obtain parts elsewhere.

You need the 1995 with the ABS wires for 1995 unless you don't want the antilock system to work. I have used ABS hubs in my 1993 with the wire cut off. Used lasted about a year before running dry and making noise in turns.

1993 Precision Hub bearings are made in Korea as I found out.

I have not seen a separate bearing for the hub listed. Labor cost to change it may not be worth it. It may be the wrong part, 2WD or something else?

I wondered the same when I did mine. Never spent the time to find a source for them. Timken is my first choice. Get the cheaper ones as thats what you need anyway.

Rock Auto carries Timken for the '95 for $153.79 before using the discount code. This is the same price AZ will charge for cheapo bearings. '95 has the internal (to bearing) reluctor wheel, while the '93 will have the external reluctor wheel on the CV half shaft. So the '95 bearings will mechanically work on the '93, but no ABS. You could make the ABS work by installing the later model CV axles. We just did this on my sons '94 (installed '95 style CV axles and bearings). The ABS sender plugs right into the wiring harness and operates the ABS the same.

Bit T meant 1994 for half shaft sensor wheel not 1993.

Again 1995+ hubs will work on a 1993 - I just cut the wires off a used set for mine.

AZ has the '95 Timkens for $135 in the store, I already bot one, or $20 off and free sh online, so basically save $20 each, or 3 more (that I need) would save $60 (the max savings)

If they're Timkens, that's a good price. When I lost a bearing on a road trip, the Timkens were $200 at AZ.

I ordered a "K2500 Front Wheel Bearing Kit Timken" and got just the wiring harness. Even tho the pix and descriptions said bearing & hub, all I got was the ABS wiring for $88 + SH. After much back and forth, my money was refunded by Amazon. the seller said "didn't you notice the weight says .4lbs?" I said I don't base my decisions on weight, and the pix and description clearly shows & says "kit". I complained to Amazon, and instead of sending me the bearing/hub, they just refunded my money, and a week later the pix was finally updated to reflect just the ABS wiring. But if you type in my above words, the little pix is till of the bearing/hub, but it's the correct wiring if you click on it.

>k2500 front wheel bearing timken<

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...n&rh=i:aps,k:k2500+front+wheel+bearing+timken

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZ6Z5S/?tag=jhuntlink-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered a "K2500 Front Wheel Bearing Kit Timken" and got just the wiring harness. Even tho the pix and descriptions said bearing & hub, all I got was the ABS wiring for $88 + SH. After much back and forth, my money was refunded by Amazon. the seller said "didn't you notice the weight says .4lbs?" I said I don't base my decisions on weight, and the pix and description clearly shows & says "kit". I complained to Amazon, and instead of sending me the bearing/hub, they just refunded my money, and a week later the pix was finally updated to reflect just the ABS wiring. But if you type in my above words, the little pix is still of the bearing/hub, but it's the correct wiring pix if you click on it.

>k2500 front wheel bearing timken<

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...n&rh=i:aps,k:k2500+front+wheel+bearing+timken

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZ6Z5S/?tag=jhuntlink-20

Hmmm... never thot to search AC Delco...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=ac delco front wheel bearing k2500

Hmmm... I think it's a 6 lug 1/2 ton, no 8 lug 3/4 ton listed, and read the details, says substandard cores discarded... Mean it's rebuilt?

Here's the one w the rotor.. and the text I copied from the listing... and it's almost triple the price of the Timken from AZ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9QRKQ/?tag=jhuntlink-20

and the text I copied from the listing.. says the substandard core thing again...

>>>Special Shipping Information: This item normally requires a shipping charge, but is eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping today.
Note: ACDelco partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a ACDelco package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent ACDelco supplier and could have a different color or shape than the product image abo
ve. <<<

I've had cheap bearing assemblies go baD IN 20 - 30,000 miles. I do not like changing them enough to do it that often. None of the AC Delco's I installed have needed to be changed again. Yet.

By the time you add the rotor on to the cost of the bearing it makes the AC Delco's more cost competitive.

The whole AC Delco made in China thing really really really pisses me off. I've been lucky on the bearings I got so far. Not so much with the high dollar AC Delco. made in fricking China, fuel tank sending unit.

The Timken is MADE IN USA, and my rotors are like new. If they weren't... and an AC Delco water pump for my 6.2 was made in China, same as the NAPA one, but a different casting

The Timken is MADE IN USA, and my rotors are like new. If they weren't... and an AC Delco water pump for my 6.2 was made in China, same as the NAPA one, but a different casting

I read something in a Timken ad that said something to the effect of produced worldwide

Back