• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First trip with the new dually

duallypilot

Reaction score
Going to pull our camper for the first time with the '97 this weekend and was wondering, I've never pulled this thing with an automatic, is there anything I need to know or any "tricks" to pulling with the auto?
Our '93 had the HD 5 speed in it, so it was a "no brainier" to pull with it. Our 5th wheel is a 2007 Jayco 31 foot, weighing in at 13K fully loaded for a weekend out.
I've got all my gauges installed (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp), And will be ordering the new 4" exhaust for it this next week when we get home. The next upgrade will be a towing computer from Heath.
Thanks
Jerrald

U need a fuel pressure gauge. They let u know a lot of good info. Like stopped up fuel filter, stopped up fuel sock, bad lift pump, etc nothing specific to towing but hammer down grinding out a long grade its not good to starve the IP. All the mods in the world dont help if tbe fuel pressure aint there. Nice to meet u dually. I luv my lil dually n hope urs treats u well.

One note about the fuel pressure gauge.
It would be best to take the pressure reading somewhere between the filter manager and the IP.

You may also want to look up the TCC mod to have some engine braking on the downhill grades,I am not sure but it may be part of the heath tune when you get that?

GM Guy, The IP went south on the 93 and was going to cost close to a grand to rebuild (that was the best price of the 3 shops close to us so I didn't have to pay for shipping), that along with numerous "little" things here and there that needed fixed. We found the 97 here in town for a great price, so we decided to buy it and use the 93 as a donor since they were nearly identical trucks.

Orrum, Racer55, I had a mechanical pressure gauge on the 93 right before the drain/test cock but I think I'm going to put an electrical one in the cab on the 97. I've looked at the adapter that PMC Cable has on their website, but think I'll put the sender right before the IP.

Sounds like a good plan,that way you will be able to monitor filter condition.
Where you had it at the WIF drain is pre filter and wouldn't have alerted you to a dirty filter.

Back