• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine swap advice and recommendations

ohmymy111

Reaction score
I have a 1994 c3500 with a 7.4L I use to pull a dog trailer. I got it, as it is a crew cab long box, both of which I wanted to have. I don't need the power a 7.4L gives me as I will never do any heavy towing. MPG is way more important.

So in addition to maybe swapping out the 4:10 gears I am thinking about doing an engine swap as well. I would like to go with a 96 or newer to get away from the OBD1. Looking for Pros, cons and recommendations on doing this.

Swapping engine, gearing, electrical system a lot of work & $. Then you have dropped resale value by a lot. I would say put on propane kit (check Leroy's diesel at bottom of main page) that will save $ in the fuel dept. Is that all why you want to loose big engine/ gearing?

Why bother obd2 instead of 1? Any special reason that could be worked with.

Other wise run it until you find a 96 or newer truck to buy & sell the current one. No down time, no lost $, no loss of blood through the knuckles from wrench turning. I am big on modify it till its what you want, but that's a bunch to change.

Not trying to say you couldn't, just my opinion.

or do a 5.3 they are cheap now days, and deliver good power with decient millage, get an adaptor and bolt it in there, wiring, ECU, fuel system, and exhaust to start with. do a camaro TPI - simple wiring mods, fuel pump swap, reprogram the chip, exhaust would bolt right up to the stock 1994 350 manifolds I believe, way way simple as conversions go.

I have to agree with a propane kit, you wont gain MPG but here propane is under 2.00 and at 9.5mpg we have the same cost/mile as a 05 Nissan Altima 2.5S (that was the primary goal. $0.17/mile, figure it with $3.00 gas and you aren't as happy. Also, if you are going to go through the trouble to swap I would get an 03 or newer 6.0L parts truck, but guess what, there aren't many 6.0L's getting better than the 14mpg you reported earlier.

Thanks for all the info. I am going top check into a propane conversion and the feasibility of it. I live in the middle of Nowhere North Dakota, so I will have to see how readily available propane for fueling

If you can find a donor, I'd do it, but I would go 93 that way, its mechanical and you can make your own fuel.

Back