• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGT Probe Placement

duallypilot

Reaction score
When I bought our first 6.5 back in '06, I read all over the internet that the EGT probe needed to be located in the exhaust manifold right before the turbo to get an accurate reading. Now years later I have seen people put the probe either post turbo or in the crossover pipe (Heath part # 1032). I'm getting ready to put mine in the new dually this weekend and was wondering what your thoughts were on it's placement. It would make the job much easier if I didn't have to drill and tap the manifold.
Thanks

Each location has pro and cons. I like in the manifold right before turbo as its a good avg temp that probably registers the fastest. My 2nd choice would be cross over for ease if you are changing it anyway. 3rd would be downpipe.

I put mine in the turbo right past where it bolts to the exhaust manifold. Seemed easier and safer since I already had the turbo off.

Pre turbo is going to give higher readings and if pulling heavy this is the number you want to watch. Heat is used up through the turbo. Cross over gives heat from one side and just before turbo on right manifold gives an average of both sides.

So the Kennedy site says when mounting pre turbo - to do it with the engine idling. I don't know if I'd want the chips running through my turbo...

The manifold pressure blows the chips out. The turbo isn't sucking out the exhaust. The manifold is cast iron or ductile iron and the chips are grainy like sand not like a stringy chip. But take it slow penetrating and the chips should be small. I did it so its fairly easy.

The crossover mount EGT probe was all "Everything is fine" "Really normal temps here" "Couldn't be better" while it was monitoring the driver's side of the Suburban engine. Problem is that I bought the Suburban after it lost the #8 injector and melted the piston down on the passenger side resulting in my favorite picture.

The #8 cylinder was not monitored. I doubt it would have made a difference if it was.

I would go in the crossover before post turbo.

Even Kennedy throws out 1250F as max safe sustained EGT. Thats halfway between Fords Powermax and GM's DMax recommendations for max safe sustained EGT, pre-turbo.

I would install it in the manifold if possible, and dont worry about a little metal dust, it will blow out either way.

An interesting point of view as I have experienced it in both places on the same truck...

I originally had it installed in the downpipe due to ease of installation (a shop did that one for me when I first bought the Sub). When I had the motor rebuilt, I had my mani's sitting on my workbench so it was very easy to install it in that boss under the turbo (in the manifold). I know it's been said many times that there is a difference in reaction time between the two places (and the temp that shows on the gauge). But, the time difference is VERY noticeable - the needle reacts SO MUCH faster to temp changes with it in the mani. I am very happy that I put it there.

The manifold pressure blows the chips out. The turbo isn't sucking out the exhaust. The manifold is cast iron or ductile iron and the chips are grainy like sand not like a stringy chip. But take it slow penetrating and the chips should be small. I did it so its fairly easy.
That's what I did with mine. I was a little apprehensive about it but never had any issues and works great. Like others say, as long as the engine is running, the exhaust will blow things out and back at you. I also did it on a cold engine as there is drill and tap and didn't want any burns. I wore sunglasses to protect my eyes when I did it.

Back