• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

effective lug wrench?

coachjpg

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Today I had occasion to attempt to remove a wheel using the lug wrench that came with my C3500. Someone had a sense of humor when they provided such a short handle. I'm about to go buy the longest-handed breaker bar I can find, and a cheater bar (pipe) to extend it further.

Short of traveling with a compressor and impact wrench, what do folks carry in their trucks for use as a road-side lug wrench?

Thanks,
-jpg

24" breaker bar, 6" extension and 22mm socket among the full set of tools in the box.

I carry a piece of pipe along with the tools.
I was screwed one drizzley, nasty night us and another couple were out to eat. Had a flat tire. The jack wouldn't go high enough and the lug wrench wasn't even the correct size.
Luckily I was in front of an old classmates house and we got his floor jack and impact out. Made things go much better.

The jack in mine looks like it would lift the axle OK, but not the frame. I couldn't use it because I wanted to put blocks under the axle where that jack would go. To put my truck up on blocks, I used a farm jack & lifted from the rear bumper. I had to lift the rear bumper about 4 feet in order to get the rear wheels up on blocks. Then I learned that the lug wrench would handle the plastic covers on the lug nuts, but not the lug nuts themselves. Very funny. I'd like to chat with the suit who decided not to put an effective lug wrench in these trucks.

For the record, a 24" 1/2" breaker bar did it for me, with an 18" extension between bar and socket. It took some effort to break them loose, but it was manageable. (Note that I used to play offensive tackle. Those of smaller frame may need to add some pipe to extend the breaker bar for more leverage.)

I always carry a large 4 way in my truck.

That a way you can push with one arm and pull with the other when you break lose the lug nuts.

I of course still have the factory useless crap also.

My 1979 Chevrolet I carried the same stuff btfarm carries.

What do you guys carry for floor jacks?
I've got my 2 big ones but I'm not carrying them around. I've got a few chincy little ones, but I tried one in the shop and it wouldn't lift the front of the Suburban

I used this to lift the rear bumper about 4 feet, so I could get blocks under the axle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-66183.html

It took some effort, but it worked well. It lives in the back of the truck, along with a bumper crane, come-along, tools, spare parts, etc.

I haven't tried lifting the front with it. The GM jack seems up to that task. The lug wrench is a joke, but the jack seems reasonably capable. I've used it several times to lift the bed when working on the back.

I used this to lift the rear bumper about 4 feet, so I could get blocks under the axle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-66183.html

Update: When I used this jack the fourth time, to lift the rear passenger side up off the blocks, the main support beam of the jack bowed. This 7000-lb-rated jack is permanently bent, from lifting one wheel of a 6000-lb vehicle. HF tells me I'm outside the 60-day warrantee period, so I'm out of luck.

This was quite scary. No harm done except to the jack, but it would be a bummer to drop a vehicle due to a poorly-made jack, especially if you drop it on something breakable. Is there an appropriate place for me to report the fact that this jack is unsafe for use?

Can anyone recommend a source for a safe farm jack?

Can anyone recommend a source for a safe farm jack?

IMHO there is no such thing as a "safe" farm jack for lifting. I've been around many of them that have failed to do the job of lifting correctly. They are only good for moving things around horizontal or diagonally... ie; fencing, timbers, gates, crates, forms, etc...

IMHO there is no such thing as a "safe" farm jack for lifting. I've been around many of them that have failed to do the job of lifting correctly. They are only good for moving things around horizontal or diagonally... ie; fencing, timbers, gates, crates, forms, etc...

x2

I only use them for light lifting, they'll kill you.

I carry my Geico insurance policy card (with 24x7 roadside assistance, including towing...already used twice).

Just in case I have no cell phone reception, I carry the screw jack that came with my 86 burb (long gone), an 8-ton bottle jack, several blocks of wood (for chocking and increasing lift height), and my trusty cross wrench (4-way). I also carry a torque multiplier (http://www.harborfreight.com/torque-multiplier-lugnut-remover-93645.html) and several pairs of PVC/nitrile rubber dot work gloves for maximum grip.

I have no hope of ever getting our lugs off. The place that installed them cranked them on w/ the impact, and I couldn't get the lugs to break loose with my 350lb self on a 20" breaker bar while trying to rotate them. At that point it's time to call AAA if you get a flat...

Back