• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 injector pump going bad - how much time do I have?

bleeder

Reaction score
This is my first experience with an IP going bad and I'm curious what I can expect to happen next and how much time I have before it happens.
For a couple of months I've begun to experience difficult hot starts. I don't know how many miles are on the IP, but the truck is now nearing 250k. Without suspecting what was going on I have been able to get it to start hot on the second or third effort while holding the pedal about halfway down. After researching the symptoms, it seems clear that my injector pump is going bad. She fails the 2000 rpm test -
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/throttle-surprise.44359/#post-503301
And, I can overcome the difficult hot start by the widely reported method of pouring some room temperature water on the IP. The engine then starts right away. Cold starts are no problem, it fires up immediately.
What happens next? Does the engine just stop running at some point? Is there a gradual degradation in power? How long does it take?
This is about the one year mark for me with my first diesel and I'm learning every day.

I have been able to get it to start hot on the second or third effort while holding the pedal about halfway down

I don't think the pedal will do anything until the ECM senses so many revolutions of idle control for OBD-II/DS IP's. So I think this is a coincidence. Might be a bad FSD. If it belched a bunch of smoke from a heavy throttle start then I would say the pedal did something.

Its probably tired and near worn out and why its hard to do the up to 2000 RPM and back down smoothly. But with a new FSD if that is it. It might live a while longer maybe 10K miles easy and possibly 30K miles plus. How long it lasts depends on fuel. It may run better on some bio diesel or A little SAE 30 ND oil which might increase viscosity and lubricity and keep it going a while. I would try some additives and see how it reacts. Stanadyne or other thin additives might make it act more tired

I think DS IP's will usually start throwing codes when death is immanent.

When the DS4 fails, it does not necessarily throw a code that triggers the SES light. Among the possibilities, it can run-away *without* throttle input, so not the best idea to continue driving this way.

From what I recall from the other thread the PMD (FSD) was determined as good, so this now puts sole focus on the IP. A good shop should have the ability to tell you whether the pump needs replacement, or is fixable (ex: just the optic sensor, etc).

If the IP does need replacement, now is a good time to get one that compensates for ULSD. I know that a lot of people save money and get reman, but I am allergic to remans and go with new.

Even with an IP that compensates for ULSD, I still add some lube to the fuel as I am not sold that the injectors are completely good with untreated fuel.

Also, if the budget allows, consider a complete fuel system overhaul (Feed the Beast, tank, sock removal, injectors, lift pump, etc . . .) as now is a good time to do it.

Back