• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 E85 / Gasoline tolerance

No "new" hard parts for the ether. Stanadyne shut down production on the ds4 and it's replacement parts iirc right before covid hit. your best bet is to start gathering parts needed for a conversion over to the db2 and be ready for when the old ds4 💩's the bed.

Yeah I know stanadyne wants to kill this thing as hard as they can

There was a "ULSD kit" in a service bulletin posted here at https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/stanadyne-technical-bulletin-on-grey-pmd-and-ds4-ip.27059/

With proper fuel pressure there are no PMD issues really so I will buy an old IP and rebuild it with this / hardened part

Then I am thinking of seeing how long it lasts as a direct injection E85 engine with separate ECM for COP ignition through the glow plug hole.

When it blows up I will put Mr Vortec supercharged on E85 in its place - unless it just keeps going and going

On the ds4 dealing with E85 or gasoline:
E85 is obviously ethanol. Most gasoline we can buy throughout the continental US has 5-10% ethanol in it. Same for diesel. That is the “oxygenated” thing they have listed.

It slowly degrades the aluminum housing of the pumps. If you keep inlet pressure up and add lube like you are supposed to, it slows this. But if you get fuel algae it tears everything up in a hurry.

As to would it withstand the E85/ gasoline- ummm- not really supposed to compress gasoline to the roughly 4,000 psi that this pump does. I can’t understand why anyone would want to. Running it into the engine like an accidental fill up won’t normally destroy them right away- but the engine stops running because of the gasoline.

The two fluids are MUCH drier than even the crappy corn diesel. So the hardened parts would help with it some.

Then there is questions of the sealing components. Idk what material they are made of. But Viton is what is needed to withstand it. Thats why the factory fuel hoses fail and now should be replaced with sae30r9 or greater- it is viton based.

As to the hardened parts (arctic kit) being a solution- not completely. It limits the wear (aka slows it down) but doesn’t stop it. Absolutely make the investment, but still add the lube. It doesn’t eliminate the issue.

As to no new hard parts for db2- I believe they are still available. The new db2 being built for hmmwvs all have them. So you can buy brand new db2 no problem. Even if the military goes with the new fuel system they are testing, the db2 & related injectors & lines are supposed be available for 10 years according to military contracts. AM General has continued to make available to the public all unregulated (no armor stuff) parts to the public. I see no reason they would end that.

As to Stanandyne wanting to kill it- meh- there just aren’t many customers anymore. There comes a point where the profit isn’t worth it. Like Ford selling seats for Model A rigs.

Ya know- if you really want to- you can make them yourself.
You can still buy new pumps right now. Buy one, tear it apart, get the components ceramic coated. Then ship the parts of to 300Below for chryo treatment.
Reassemble, spin it up on a bench to get it set up right and you are dialed in.

Granted you will spend about $5000 doing it, but anything is possible.

@Will L. actually to your post 6 that was the plan if the direct injection project worked well and we could get it through the EPA EV-CIS program of which we are a manufacturer member.

If it did not work then drop in the E85 Vortec we have SUPERCHARGED and keep calm and carry on with a larger engine family certification project

Otherwise the 6.5 is dead for the DS4 and too much a pita to covert to DB2

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I didn’t realize you meant trying to run it permanently on it.
I can’t see how without massive alterations. When we went from #2 to LSD the lifespan cut in half. Then from LSD to ULSD it cut in half again.

I can’t imagine the wear it would create to run gas all the time- especially E85. That stuff is used as a friction increaser for certain machinist work to keep tooling cool. The only reason it isn’t super popular is it has to be done under a nitrogen blanket to eliminate flashing off.

Back