• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drive Train Fluid Change

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
So far I have changed the fluid in my front Differential and Tcase. I am waiting on a Transgo Jr and new rear cover before I do the rest. I am going to run all Amsoil fluids when it is all said and done.

The front diff had ALOT of shavings on the plug and the oil came out separated/milky/clumpy. Any one else have this problem? I am assuming it is original with 170K on it...

The Tcase fluid was pretty dark and worn looking but there were tool marks on the plug so I think it has been changed aleast once in its life.

The way you describe the front is characteristic of factory fill Tanner. Milky with shavings on the plug magnet.

Good that kind of puts my mind at ease.

Thanks for the info, I am going to post pics of all the shavings for anyone else needing a reference for what it might look like (when I find my HDMI cable).

GM put ALOT of dry film lubricant in the front diffs from the factory. It gives it that milky appearance when you drain it out. They did this to prevent rusting of the gears and such as the ring and pinion will not turn when the front axle is unlocked. Over time this lets the oil drain off and the yring and pinion will rust.

Back