• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

drive shaft yoke/transfer case seal leaking

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
My drive shaft yoke/transfer case seal is leaking at the seal. I replaced the seal and it continues to leak. I had a drive shaft rebuilt and balanced. (original to the truck after sitting around.) The one I was using was too short and I tossed the entire thing. The yoke on it had a gouge where the seal should have been running, but, was running 2" up. It did not leak but vibrated and ate the U-Joints after 50K - not bad life really.

They cleaned up the light rust from the yoke that I am using now. It leaked the 2nd day and the new seal did not last much longer.

Do I replace the yoke and seal or do I need to possibly repair the bearing in the transfer case as well? I am thinking the rust clean up is ruining the seals?

How did they clean the rust off the seal surface?

Lathe? Emery cloth? Heavy grit paper?

If they turned it, the diameter might be just a smidge too small.

If an aggressive paper was used, it may be too rough and wearing the seal.

Conversely, if it was too rust pitted it might not be a suitable sealing surface for the seal even after the coarse rust was removed...

The vibration of the old shaft could've wore out the bushing in the tailpiece,it's also possible that the oil drain groeve in the tail piece is plugged ,causing the oil to back up against the seal.
Are you sure the right seal was used,..there are several seals that'll fit the housing but might be a smidgen to wide for the shaft.
Cleaning up the shaft with fine emery cloth is OK,i use emery strip(comes on a roll) for cases like that and pull it around the shaft,not lenghtwise with it.

If the tailshaft bearing is shot it'll never hold a seal. Been there a time or 2...
Sometimes a different seal has the lip in a fresh location away from the groove and that solves the problem.
Just emery cleanup should be enough.

It was in the rain type of light rust. Nothing really deep. I could see some sanding marks in the proper direction around the shaft not up and down. Not sure what the drive shaft shop used to clean it up. The seal already made the shaft shine a little. It is riding deeper in the transfer case than it ever did before in at least 60K miles as the drive shaft is longer and proper length.

There is no groove on the yoke.

I have another transfer case to swap tail bushings out with... Lets see how much fun that is.

Parts store handed me the wrong seal the first time as I found getting another seal - it was missing the dust boot for starters. We will see if that was it.

Seal was too small. The bushing didn't look good. So I used the other one off the spare parts pile and proper seal. Added nearly 1 quart to the transfer case. So far so good.

Back