• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drive Shaft Removal '99 K2500

Big T

Reaction score
I've had incidents where it sounds like the u-joints on the drive shaft are clunking. How do I inspect for wear? I went under there and tried to rotate the shaft to see if there's play and there's no side to side play on either front or rear, but at the front where it attaches to the transfer case I can generate some slight upward play at the joint.

I can see bolts where I can detach and remove the shaft and U-joints at the rear, but not at the front. Also was not able to find grease fittings, though I was not working in bright day light and my close vision is bad.

Periodically, I get some jumpiness in the rear on slow 90 degree turns. Had this since I bought the truck. Rear axle is the 14 bolt full floater with 3.73 gears and posi traction. Is this the "Bunny Hop" described in the following thread:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?36002-G80-Gov-locker-info

It is possible to have a bad ujoint with no slop. take it for a drive and then immedately crawl under and feel the caps for heat. be careful it can be real hot.

Back