• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Detroit Truetrac or Detroit Locker?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Trying to decide what one to go with. Actually on both the 1993 4x4 with the Yank and the MT Dodge.

The 1993 sunk a side to the axle in dirt while trying to pull a gravel loaded trailer. The Thermo 4x4 actuator decided to die after 20 years and 200K miles and had to have the truck/trailer be pulled out. Fixed since. If it has a G80 it quit long ago. The rear having a locker or LSD may have pulled it through. It's got a high stall converter and doughnuts (Adult driven no abuse here) are highly likely. Needs the best off road traction. A G80 clearly would depart through the cover with the Yank stalled up... I am leaning toward a Locker for this one. Rear end needs a rebuild due to howl anyway.

The Dodge is a 2WD and will fishtail under heavy power in 4th gear with a trailer on wet roads. Has an open diff now. Major concern is a grade and getting a wheel in the gravel like a driveway. It needs help in the traction department. I am leaning toward Truetrac for better street manners. Word is the factory unit is similar but not as aggressive aka sucks. No off road planned.

Snow and Ice is not a factor, but, wet roads are.

If you have a 10.5", then rule out the true trac as they do not make one for the GM 10.5"(the DODGE unit will not work). The TRUE TRAC works great so long as both tires are on the ground, if one comes off the ground forget it, it's done. The DODGE limited slip units used in the AAM axles is a true trac, and works very well. The only downside is the true trac NEEDS both tires on the ground to work. With no load on one side it will be liek an open diff. As to a G80 holding up, I HIGHLY doubt your going to be ANY harder on it than I have been mine, and it's still hanging in there and working. The weak point of the G80 in a 10.5" axle is if the carrier bearings get loose, the housing will push apart and crack(it is bolted together in a 10.5" axle, and uses carrier bearing preload to keep the housing together and solid).

I was coincidentely investivating same thing for pretty much same reason, and came across EatonGM14 bolt 10.5 truetrac 915A545. I didn't know about the one wheel off ground issue. I guess I'll hunt down a G80. Is this part # a misprint. I have no idea how to link it to thread.

I was coincidentely investivating same thing for pretty much same reason, and came across EatonGM14 bolt 10.5 truetrac 915A545. I didn't know about the one wheel off ground issue. I guess I'll hunt down a G80. Is this part # a misprint. I have no idea how to link it to thread.
They must have just came out with it. I know I called them 5 years ago and they told me they had no interest in building one for the 10.5" rear axle. I stand corrected, you can now get a true trac. So if my G80 goes, I will get a true trac.

Ferm, I was making sure I wasn't gonna buy wong part. The desciption says it works same as H1, does that mean a wheel can be off the ground? Thats how I have gotten stuck in past and would get a used G80 instead. I only like selectable lockers and don't know much about lsd type lockers. Leroy I will inquire aboit price soon. I need to find a trusty shop to install it first, not my idea of fun.

If it is in fact a true tru-trac, then it needs both tires on the gorund to work. I put one in a 9.5" 14 bolt years back, and it worked really nicely. There was a few quirks to it VS a G80, but no deal breakers. The biggest drawback to it I found was that if you had to accelerate at slow speeds through a turn, and needed to give it the spurs to get going, it would try and push you straight like a locker whereas a G80 would allow you to turn. If one tire came off the ground though, it was pretty well done. It needs some load on the gears to make the unit work.

I have 2 dead G80's - one from the totaled 1993 GMC on the shelf and one in the 1993 that clearly doesn't work. Likely something simple that quit. The 200 RPM wheel spin before it locks is a good bang and this is what concerns me when they work. The locker vs. limited slip is an advantage to the G80 over LS units.

The torque bias is what makes the Eaton better than the AAM standard limited slip. Although anything times 0 is still zero for a wheel in the air - parking brake can help transfer torque to the wheel with grip.

Thanks for the update on "new" parts. Keep us in the loop for prices!

So if you go with torque bias, you want to do some learning on BTM Brake Throttle Manipulation. I like it, used it some today getting the hummer off some uphill sandy situations my 10 year old was learning on.

Back