• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dads boat, now mine.

great white

Reaction score
Well, dads alzhiemers is in full swing and he'll never see outside an institution again.

So mom asked me to take his boat away from the cottage.

It's a late 80's 12' springbok:

a716c0b5.jpg

9dafe646.jpg

Springbok was a Canadian company that was bought up by princecraft to gain status in the al boat market. Springbok was a priemier al boat manufacturer.

It's got an 1988 Johnson 8 hp on it that runs like new.

Trailer is sketchy. The springs exist in spirit only ( rusted away to tinfoil) and the bearings are inner and outer races only:

c9b6d08b.jpg

I had to cut them with a grinder and split the inner race with a cold chisel.

The axle is wasted down some from rust, but salvageable for one more trip.

I'm going to toss on a new set of springs ( brought them with me), pop in some new bearings and throw on a new set of lights ( one is missing).

Then, it's a 500 mile run back to Newfoundland and a winter overhaul for both boat and trailer.

Here's a pic from the upper porch on the cottage where I'm writing this from my iPhone:

6a43d597.jpg

I love it here. Quiet, peaceful, recharging.

Hopefully, mom keeps it even without dad to do the upkeep. I wish I was close enough to take it over. I'm just too far away...

My heart goes out to you for having to see what alzhiemers does to loved ones. I have seen it firsthand. That has got to be the worst way to go.

Sorry about your dad. Nice boat I am sure he enjoyed it. Nothing like a nice body of water to watch and enjoy.

I was lucky today and picked up a new axle for 75 bucks. It has 4 bolt hubs, but my 5 bolt hubs will slip right on and allow me to use my larger rims and tires from my utility trailer.

Plus, I have the option of putting the 5 bolt hubs back on the util trailer and using the original 4 bolt rims on the boat.

I also have to move the spring perches. The boat uses 38" on center and he new axle is 36".

Easy enough. I'll just cut the old ones off and weld new ones where I need them.

I'm also thinking of doing a bass boat "light" style conversion. Not much, just some low level deck surfaces (outdoor carpeted) for convienience and add some covered storage areas. A few little things like rod holder and cleats to round it off.

If it still planes well, I'll look at adding a few other niceties like a trolling motor, battery, lights, etc.

It'll only ever have to haul me around and maybe infrequently the wife or a buddy (ie: the dog)...

Just decoded the Johnson serial number;

CJ8RCEC

Drop the first "C" (I'm assuming = Canadian) and the last "C" ( essentialy jibberish from what I've found).

So it's really J8RCE

J= Johnson

8= 8 HP

R= rope start

C=8 E=9 so 1989

The rest of the package;

1988 trailer (from the registration) and I'm guessing a 1988/89 Springbok (bought as a package).

Not too bad for soemthing that is for all intents and purposes "free".....

I got the axle built up yesterday. Cut off the spring perches and swapped on the 5 lug hubs and wheels.

Now I have a spare set of new bearing in the 4 bolt hubs to put away for later.

Tried to install bearing buddies, but they just wouldn't go on. They are the right size for my hubs. I'm just going to take the hubs apart once a year, clean and repack them.

I think I'll get the new perches welded on today or tomorrow.

Found a gent's pics of a 12 footer conversion and this is basically what I'm looking to build from dad's:

4184743816_d0aae8db6b_o.jpg

That works...my only suggestion is a larger hinged opening or open rear end for fuel access & refilling and ease of checking for water.

The buddy bearings are very nice, too bad they wouldn't work.

Thats a decent suggestion, except there's no extra room to be had with the way my rear bunks run:

princecraft-springbok20.jpg

The pic was just an example of what I have planned.

I'm still firming up the final iteration. I've got ideas of everything from bilge pumps to live wells to stereos...

First loose plan:

UNGAVA2.jpg

Please excuse the poor ms paint rendering, I'm at my moms house and don't have access to my Photoshop.

I left all the stock bunks in place and worked around them to not affect the factory floatation or structural integrity. I always was impressed with how solid the little springbok ungava was and didn't want to loose that.

It used to plane very fast and very well. Hopefully, it still will. I've got plans to build everything out of some very light materials I have access to (think composite sandwich core)...

Been on a parts buying "spree" the last couple days.

Bow mount removable led light-$34
Stern 24" removable light-$45
Insulated Battery clamps-$7
Small 200 gph bilge pump-$8
large 2000 GPH bilge-$25 (emergency use if I hole the hull)
Through Hull bilge connector-$4
Rod holders x2-$20
Cup holders x3-$5
Impeller-$15
Anode-$7
Solar charger-$20
6 switch & cb panel-$25
Axle-$75
Misc bolts-$15
Spare tire holder-$15
Trailer light kit-$29
Truck multiplug (7 blade and 4/5 flat)-$39

The springs, hubs tires rims, etc are being scavenged off a utility trailer we're not going to rebuild to give the boat trailer life. The utility trailer is only 4 years old so it's all pretty much new parts ( no use for a 4x6 utility trailer anymore).

All the rest of the boat stuff, right down to the vests/rods/tackle/hummingbird/coolers/anchor/swivel seats/oars/heaving lines/etc are already with the boat.

Some aluminum bracing, marine plywood, carpet, battery and wiring and she'll be ready to go for the next season.

So that's what, 3-500 bucks out the door for a complete, sturdy, capable little 8 hp tinny that I've known so well for the last 15 years or so?

I'll take that all day any day!

:)

Pics to come as I build it...

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart goes out to you for having to see what alzhiemers does to loved ones. I have seen it firsthand. That has got to be the worst way to go.

My maternal Grandfather went the same way. It truly is an awful disease. I send you and your parents my best BJ.

Had a fairly full day today. Got the springs, axle and fenders slung under the trailer frame. Took some measurements and it all is within spec for straight trouble free towing.

Then, wired up the new trailer lights.

Finished off with mounting the spare tire carrier and spare tire.

Now it's ready for the tow from the cottage to my garage where the transformation will begin from utility boat to fishing (well, in all honesty, fishing really means "napping" for me ;)) boat....

Back