• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CV replacement

btfarm

America First!
Reaction score
While doing some maintenance and rotating tires today I heard a popping sound as I jacked up the front end on the right side and then I noticed the shaft is throwing grease all over. Looking for brand suggestions. Either RA or Amazon is gonna be about $58 each to my door for a Cardone brand assy. Thinking about buying a pair since the factory ones have almost 265k on 'em.

Make sure if you go CARDONE it is CARDONE premium. CARDONE normally has 2 different lines, the basic for autozone/advance and the like, and a premium line for NAPA/CARQUEST and other upper end parts stores. I know they're not always clearly labeled which line they came from when you buy them.

Rock Auto has Cardone Select, and A-1 Cardone. I would have to guess that the select is the cheaper brand, and the A-1 is the better line. But the A-1 says that it is re-manufactured. They also carry Surttrack and Empire which are both more expensive. :???:

So Cardone Select is the "new" products, and the A-1 Cardone are the reman products. Wow. The reman is more expensive than the new. I wonder why?

I pulled mine a 200k and had them rebooted, at 240k I had all 6 bolts come out on the driver side. Took it in and watched the dealer pull the boots and it still looked Ok to me so they regreased it and put on new boots.

I'm impressed that mine lasted this long fully cranked w/ alot of 4x4/towing use

Sub'd for new part reference.

source unknown

So Cardone Select is the "new" products, and the A-1 Cardone are the reman products. Wow. The reman is more expensive than the new. I wonder why?

I found a post from an employee at CARDONE where they build them, and he said there MSRP puts the new at a higher price point than the remans. For some reason most retailers seem to price them opposite on there end, the general guess was they didn't want to handle returns and charging core deposits. Alot less fuss selling new ones with no core to worry about or handle.

The boots on the Cardone will last 2 to 3 years, 40K miles. Get the Suretech at Rock Auto. They're new units and have better boots. The OEM ones are very good if you just want to replace the boots.

The select HD has a tougher outer boot.

From RA catalog:

CARDONE SELECT Part # 661325HD More Info {#15868120, 26069242}
Front Left; Supplied w/Optional Heavy Duty Thermoplastic Outboard Boot
Front Right; Supplied w/Optional Heavy Duty Thermoplastic Outboard Boot

Edit- I ordered it through Amazon. Didn't have a valid RA code and they stopped taking my brand of card. Same price to the door.

I have a couple others with bad boots. What does it take to replace a boot and re-grease these? I've never disassembled one before.

Last edited:
There not to bad to do. Lock em down in a vise, smack it mith a mallet to get the joint off the shaft, use LOTS of cleaner to spray out the old grease(CV grease is some sticky NASTY crap), fill with fresh grease, swap the boot, snap the CZV joint back onto the shaft, and install the clamps for the boot.

Put the Cardone select unit in Saturday. Quality seems good. While I was at it I twisted off the top 'sortaflangenut' thing for the stabilizer bar so I ordered an aftermarket Raybestos kit.

Stabliz.jpg

At least I can get a wrench on this instead of a Visegrip. What's left of the old one may hang in there for a few hundred miles until I get the new set.

Installed today
eba2eqeg.jpg
ajaqy6ur.jpg

I don't see how they'll be much different but we'll see

Sent from my SCH-I535

I'm pleasantly surprised to report that the difference in cornering is very noticeable. Big improvement in side to side stability. Proven on a tight S curve I usually take at 55-60 (for fun) and the body roll was less than half normal

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back