• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Custom lower console in progress.....

great white

Reaction score
Hi all.

Time to get a bit more serious about my rear cam and gauges.

But, as we all know the 95-98 interior is a bit......umm... "challenged" for space to install gauges.

I really dislike pillar mounted gauges. Just gets in the way IMHO.

So, a couple hours of cardboard work gets me the raw "buck" to start with:

DSC03995.jpg

DSC03994.jpg

You can see where the touchscreen will go. The area where the broken and useless ashtray used to be will mount 8 or so digital gauges.

I'm on the fence about building another carputer and putting it in the console itself. I've got enough left over parts to install it, everything from power supplies and dolby 7.1 soundcards to dual head video and amps. Sure would be nice to have on board OBDII diagnostics again, but I don't know if I could stand the "whirr" of the cooling fan inside the cab. The Ol' whoar up under the hood makes enough noise already.....:rolleyes5:

What I'm at a loss for is what to put down in the big flat space that's left over. I've toyed with the thought of making a space to hold the blackberry, the ipod or just a tray to hold whatever is rolling around.

Any ideas?

:)

Last edited:
Find a late model ('01-'07) with the center console at the boneyard and put the lower section with the cupholders/etc in there. Looks like a perfect fit.

Finally got the lower console into primer:

DSC04032.jpg

I've added an inverter and a USB power supply. The inverter plugs are on the lower face with the switch and the USB plug in is the square in the lower right upper surface.

Left to do is put the monitor back into it's casing, install the auber gauges, make the black plastic floor for the cubby and final painting to match the interior.

Now that the console is coming to the finish, it's time for something else to go with it:

DSC04029.jpg

Can't see it? Pic too fuzzy?

Lets zoom in and see if you can pick it out:

DSC04031.jpg

Yup, rear cam!

Night vision and all.

Made myself a nice solid bracket and welded to the bumper. The cam clears the tailgate when it's down by about 1/4 inch. The rear bumper lights are going to go very nicely with it.

You just knew I was going to do something with that monitor in the console.

;)

Everyone loves pics!

DSC04168.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

I still haven't figured out where to hang the mic. I've got a couple ideas, but I have to do some test fits first.

The hole in the right lower corner is where I was originally put the devil's own controller. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But once in the truck, I couldn't see the indicator lights of adjust the injection setting with seat in the driving position.

So, it got moved to the gauge mounting location.

I haven't filled in the hole yet, I've had enough of fiber-glassing for now.

I've only got room for 3 gauges now, instead of the original 4. No problem, I didn't know what I was going to even put in the 4th location anyways.

The Cb is also functional now. Bluetooths the iphone great! People can't even tell I'm not using the phone for sound quality.

With roof mounted antenna, I'm getting pretty much flat SWR readings at about 1.1:1

Overall, a big success!

Back