• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Correct tire pressure?

Ama83

Reaction score
So, K2500 95 Urban with 245/75/16 Load range E and 265/70/16 Load range D. What is the correct tire pressure for those tires? At highway it wibrates in sycles like 3 sec wibrates and then 3 sec not. Wrong pressure?

Last edited:
Pressure should be in the manual. My guess on the vibration is a balance problem, either wheel assembly or drive train.

well for truck tires you really don't have one set pressure. Generally you will have an empty truck pressure and loaded truck pressure. The loaded pressure will vary depending on how much weight. First, look at the sidewalls and see the max pressure for the tires. NEVER go past that regardless of what the door jam ratings say.

So for the big question, what are those pressures? Everyone will have a different answer. I personally run around 50-55 when empty. Medium loads will be around 65, heavy loads will be 70-75. Front tires don't need as much as rear.

What kind of tread pattern do you have? Sounds to me like an off-road tread that is wearing bad. You need them balanced at the very least, maybe rotated. OR bad U-joint in the driveline.

well for truck tires you really don't have one set pressure. Generally you will have an empty truck pressure and loaded truck pressure. The loaded pressure will vary depending on how much weight. First, look at the sidewalls and see the max pressure for the tires. NEVER go past that regardless of what the door jam ratings say.

So for the big question, what are those pressures? Everyone will have a different answer. I personally run around 50-55 when empty. Medium loads will be around 65, heavy loads will be 70-75. Front tires don't need as much as rear.

What kind of tread pattern do you have? Sounds to me like an off-road tread that is wearing bad. You need them balanced at the very least, maybe rotated. OR bad U-joint in the driveline.

Those are BFG Allterrain tires. Those were balanced about 4 months ago, but vibration is getting worse :(

Maybe try some balance beads inside the tire? I use them and they work. Good info from trouttrooper. No set pressure. Depends on what your using it for and when. I run about 60 psi in my 265x75x16 E's when not towing or running a heavy load. When I tow, I bump up the tire pressure to about 75 psi all the way around. They also run cooler at loads with correct tire pressure, and wear better. I like to run even tire pressures. Makes the truck handle better.

X2 on trouttrooper's suggestion to check u-joints. It doesn't take much looseness in a u-joint to get vibration.

Don

What is U-joint? Can´t get translation in my head right now...

There are two u-joints (universal joint) in the driveshaft. One up by the transmission and the other down by the differential. The driveshaft goes between the transmission output and the differential. The bearings in the u-joint will get loose/worn with age. Grab the driveshaft with one hand and the other side of the u-joint (transmission tailshaft or differential flange) with the other hand and try to twist, push, pull, shake from all directions. You should not feel any movement in the joint. Since the driveshaft spins at high RPM any looseness in the u-joint might allow the shaft to go out of center and cause vibrations. Sometimes you can get a popping sound when you suddenly speed up or slow down. This is from torsional twist allowed by loose bearings in the u-joint.

Don

There are two u-joints (universal joint) in the driveshaft. One up by the transmission and the other down by the differential. The driveshaft goes between the transmission output and the differential. The bearings in the u-joint will get loose/worn with age. Grab the driveshaft with one hand and the other side of the u-joint (transmission tailshaft or differential flange) with the other hand and try to twist, push, pull, shake from all directions. You should not feel any movement in the joint. Since the driveshaft spins at high RPM any looseness in the u-joint might allow the shaft to go out of center and cause vibrations. Sometimes you can get a popping sound when you suddenly speed up or slow down. This is from torsional twist allowed by loose bearings in the u-joint.

Don

Oh, ok :) Thanks!

Im not sure I understand. are you running 2 different size tires at the same time on a 4x4??

Those are actually nearly the same height, just different widths. My problem is every 265/70 tire I ran was a 1/2 ton tire so it was lower weight rated and I am assuming you are running this on the rear (since it is wider) which is where you would want the tires with higher weight ratings...

Check the pressure rating but I am going to GUESS the D range tires are ~60psi which is what I run my E range tires at.

Back