• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

converting 1994 gmc 3500 to a dually

turbonator

Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if any one has ever used wheel spacers on the front of a gmt-400 truck to convert it to a dually? i was wondering if anybody knows what thickness spacer i need to use to bolt on a dually style steel wheel..... thanks:hello:

There is easily a good 4"+ between the WMS of a single wheel truck vs the one used on a dually truck. I don't know of any wheel studs that would reach that far, let alone still have threads to grab the wheels and have full engagement of the lug nut. Not to mention with that much spacing there would be a huge amount of lateral force applied to the wheel studs. 8 lugs or not that will stress the studs and potentially snap them off.

There is a chance you may be able to get a set of hubs off a dually truck and replace the SRW style hubs with those. Can't guarantee that will work though, it may be worth a shot if you can get ahold of some for cheap. IF that doesn't work you may end up needed the whole front IFS assembly to make this whole thing work. Is it a 4x4 or a 4x2?

There is easily a good 4"+ between the WMS of a single wheel truck vs the one used on a dually truck. I don't know of any wheel studs that would reach that far, let alone still have threads to grab the wheels and have full engagement of the lug nut. Not to mention with that much spacing there would be a huge amount of lateral force applied to the wheel studs. 8 lugs or not that will stress the studs and potentially snap them off.

There is a chance you may be able to get a set of hubs off a dually truck and replace the SRW style hubs with those. Can't guarantee that will work though, it may be worth a shot if you can get ahold of some for cheap. IF that doesn't work you may end up needed the whole front IFS assembly to make this whole thing work. Is it a 4x4 or a 4x2?
i already have a rear out of a 99 savana 3500 rwd, the front hubs dont work as they are not 4wd..... i think i can just bolt on the hub extender from any 4wd 3500 4x4 dually.... does any one know where i can find them used?

Turbonator

Did you ever get this done? I've been wanting to change out my rear end and do something with the front end to take the duel wheels.

I know. Raising the dead here.:thumbsup:

I converted a 1979 heavy 3/4 ton into a 1 ton dually back in 2000.

The front wheels mount onto a disc brake rotor with an extension.(look on rock auto).

My truck, the 79, the extension was a bolt on. The newer(1993) seem to be made into one piece by the picture on rock auto.

It is not that difficult of a transition. It is expensive mainly because of the rear end and bed.

I've found rear axles for $150 and less with the same gearing. Fenders have been found for cheap just need to do some glassing on them. Nothing big. Same with steel wheels. Those are all over for real cheap. It's the front spacers I need to find. I know there was some compnies that made them I just can't seem to locate them.

So far I can source everything but the spacers for less that $400 if I keep what I have now. Less if I do some trading.

I've found rear axles for $150 and less with the same gearing. Fenders have been found for cheap just need to do some glassing on them. Nothing big. Same with steel wheels. Those are all over for real cheap. It's the front spacers I need to find. I know there was some compnies that made them I just can't seem to locate them.

So far I can source everything but the spacers for less that $400 if I keep what I have now. Less if I do some trading.

rock auto has the spacers with disc rotors for around $140 each.

Turbonator

Did you ever get this done? I've been wanting to change out my rear end and do something with the front end to take the duel wheels.

I know. Raising the dead here.:thumbsup:
yeah we got it all done, had to swap sides with the bracket for the driverside shock, but worked out good.... for the front we used adapters from fred, but since then we scrapped a 3500 with brand new rotors and pads/calipers, so that will get swapped in this summer.... now just need some 3500 lift spindles... lookin for around 2-3"....

Attachments

• Tractor pull.jpg
    Tractor pull.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 7
I'm not sure I know who Fred is, but that looks good. I have found that I'm in need of the stability that a dually will provide over the singles rear wheel.

Ok, I googled the Fred spacers. Now to find the funds to get some front adapters from the bone yard. Looks like 97 was a bolt on.

I'm not sure I know who Fred is, but that looks good. I have found that I'm in need of the stability that a dually will provide over the singles rear wheel.

I love my "training wheels"! I don't slow down unless a corner is marked well below the speed that I'm running.

And around GP there is alot of them.

There is a cool bone yard in Wolf Creek for Zuks. Used to go down all the time to visit the Grand Ma and had to stop in there everytime we were close.

Back