• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cleaning upholstery...suggested products or methods?

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
G/f just picked up an '05 Acura TL. The previous owner didn't take the greatest care of it. The leather was never cleaned and I don't know how you could get the headliner so dirty. Got a good deal on the car, just needs a good cleaning.

What can I safely use to clean the headliner without ruining the glue?

The leather...I used Armor All leather care and the seats are a lot better already but there's dirt stains that won't come off. Anyone know of a better leather cleaner for stains?

Also....anything work good to clean seat belts? :rolleyes5:

I used carpet cleaner when I had to remove some smoking stains from a car I purchased before, you can only get it so clean it seems, I think I used bluecoral carpet cleaner got most of the smoke smell / color out but you could still tell if you pulled away from a edge. As far as the leather goes I usually use lexol leather cleaner and conditioner. Again, used it in the car I bought that had been smoked in and it cleaned them up a lot. Might try applying it with a powerball or something to save your elbows. Good luck!

I have all that stuff and see what works best. I also have some stuff called "Spray Nine" that I use to clean my chrome wheels. Might give that a shot too.

Thanks

http://www.meguiars.com/

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/products/interior_care/interior_gold_class

p84738z.jpg

although i believe you will never get smoke stink out .....

Magic eraser for the leather! Just get a bucket of water and keep the eraser clean as you use it. Wipe the excess water off the seat and let it dry. Then use conditioner.

I was amazed how much dirt and crap get on the seats, even in a fairly clean vehicle. I also use it on the doors and dash for stains. Be sure to apply some protectant after.

Stepdaughter bought a car from a bad smoker once. I used a steam vac with a car attachment on the headliner. (one of those Hoover's)Worked pretty good. Get the odor eleminator carpet cleaner and see how that works.

i would try to stay away from armorall from what i have heard it actually does more damage to the interior than good. i was told by a detailer that it will actually dry out leathers and plastics. not to sure how true it is but i still try to avoid useing it. i would use a meguires or lexol product if you could. my uncle does detail work for a living and does it on the side for extra cash. i will talk to him see what he recomends.

Well, the car doesn't have a bad odor....the headliner just has dirt on it.

As for the armor all it did wonders to the leather....soaked that stuff right up and it's a lot softer now. I've used armor all interior wipes on our trucks for a long time too...no issues. Before they had the wipes I used the spray.

Magic Eraser...I've heard of people using this a lot on the exterior. Do they have this stuff at most auto parts stores? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

Be careful with the Magic Eraser on the Paint. If you concentrate in one Spot too much, or press too hard, you'll Scratch the Paint

Nothing you can't Wheel out, but then that's MORE Work you gotta do that you didn't have to in the First Place.

Be careful with the Magic Eraser on the Paint. If you concentrate in one Spot too much, or press too hard, you'll Scratch the Paint

Nothing you can't Wheel out, but then that's MORE Work you gotta do that you didn't have to in the First Place.

I was thinking of using it on the interior like suggested above.

A good mild cleaner for vinyl is Murphy's oil soap (vegitable oil soap for wood floors). I have used it on my boat but not cars so I am not sure if it will discolor clear dash plastic so be careful.

I also like an aresol can carpet / vinyl / seat cleaner called Tuff Stuff. Spray on, let soak, brush if real dirty, then blot off with thick damp towel repeat as necessary.

Back