• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 3500HD w/ 8.2L turbo fuel pincher engine over an "built" expensive 6.5T ?

just-j

Reaction score
Well, I just picked up a DIESEL POWER magazine with an article about a 3500HD with a CAT C7 3126 I6 engine. I know that was a big $$$ swap.... time etc.

The 8.2L turbo is mechanical...which would be a lil + ? I'm pretty sure it would fit in the 3500HD with not a lot of fit issues ? I think a custom fabed exhaust, where I would be moving the turbo from the back of the engine..to the side, similar a 6.5 turbo placement.

I read all the posts on the internet, about blowing head gaskets... I think with some ARP bolts and watching the Temps and boost.... I think would be a reasonable- cheap conversion ?
And maybe upgrade to a 5/6 spd Allison trans.
Any thoughts , suggest would be welcome....

Or next option.... Sell the some what rare Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab.... and get a C6500/ c7500 and be done with the aggravation.

Buy used truck. Haul out engine and trans and refresh. Spend at least the amount paid for truck. IMO par for the course.

Alternatives would be a new or slightly used gas engine truck with a warranty that has the capacity to haul 1-2 cars. High value and emissions rule out late model diesels that can be under warranty.

How much time do you want to spend under the hood vs. driving? Nothing wrong with a Rat Rod for towing, but, there is a lot of garadge time.

Back