• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing EFI Fuel Injectors

Thanks everybody! I've looked at most of the things you've mentioned.
www.accuratediesel.com
This company has made their own injector socket for 6.2 & 6.5 diesel. See the edges of the injector are not shaped like a nut. They are more rounded corners. The only thing wrong is that they made it to fit a 3/8" drive. You can not use a 3/8" drive next to the turbo on a Trek. It's great for the other 7-injectors.
I would like to cut off the top part and mig a 5/8" nut there. The other 6.2 and 6.5 sockets they make are 30mm. It looks like a 12-point or more like a box wrench and it may slip around the injector when you put pressure to it...which wouldn't be a good thing!
I sure would like to find this one from NAPA that they don't make any more. Because I know it works- on a Trek motorhome like mine. (Napa Part # BK700-2470)
The length of the socket is "KEY" for that one injector. And it can easily do the other 7 injectors.

Or make an adapter.

Maybe use the male 3/8 drive end of of ratchet or extension and weld an appropriate sized nut to it.

Night even stick the shank through the nut and secure it with a roll pin or something

As long as you have room to make the socket as much longer as the nut is thick

Or make an adapter.

Maybe use the male 3/8 drive end of of ratchet or extension and weld an appropriate sized nut to it.

Night even stick the shank through the nut and secure it with a roll pin or something

As long as you have room to make the socket as much longer as the nut is thick
He can’t make it longer. This is why he can’t use a ratchet on it. There is no place to run extensions through. This is a common issue in RVs & Pvans.

Attached is a picture of my one injector that has a space problem next to the turbo.
Anyone that's working on their injectors...can you take a measurement for me. Can you measure the injector still in the head to the top of the injector with the hard fuel line disconnected? This will help me because I haven't disconnected the hard lines yet.
Thanks for the suggestions you just sent. Will L. is very familiar with my set up with my motorhome.

Attachments

• 1. Fuel Injector Hard Line.jpg
    1. Fuel Injector Hard Line.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 5
He can’t make it longer. This is why he can’t use a ratchet on it. There is no place to run extensions through. This is a common issue in RVs & Pvans.
The adapter wouldn't have to be near as thick as a ratchet head.
Might be able to get by with only a jam nut thickness.

I think at least one of my 30 mm sockets has a hex on the end.

OK guys! My injector socket came in and ready to move on. It's the OTC 5060 socket like the socket shown above that others have suggested.
I have not started the engine in 10 days. Do you think the fuel pressure has dissipated by now? Or should I open one of the fuel lines at one of the injectors?
Remember this is a EFI fuel system. The engine also has a fitting to drain any water from the system.....which also must hole pressure. I could relieve it from there? Thanks for your help!

Back to you guys! I decided not to mess with removing the turbo.
After getting everything prepped to start pulling the injectors...I bought the OTC 5060 socket. The passenger side is really tight to work on. After hours of messing with this side...I did get the 4 injectors loose. This is the socket you need to have- It works!

Now to the driver's side- now need to pull the tire off to get to anything I have to work on. So that means to get the front of the motorhome jacked up and get the jack stands in place for more support. After that- jack up the A arm to get the wheel off the floor
(more jack stands to hold that up). And finally get to pull the side panel off.
After doing that- I was able to break everything loose ... including the injectors.

After doing all this work one of the most time consuming thing was removing the rubber hoses off all 8 injectors. When they installed the rubber hose clamps they made sure that all the squeeze clamps faced the head so you would have fun getting them off. This also took a lot of extra time. Mostly cutting the braking them off. (The new hoses are self-sealing.)

At this time I decided to get the new Bosch injectors. About three weeks ago I looked at Summit and Rock Auto and other named sights.... all of them are out of stock. I just looked today and they are all still out of stock. Something smells bad here!
Also found a fellow that just bought a set of 8 Bosch injectors for his 6.5TD....and had them tested for flow and found two bad injectors out of eight.

I need to find out more about this brand of Bosch injectors....before I buy them. So far I have 10 hours into this challenge and a half a box of band aids.

Hope I find answers soon to continue my injector job!!!

There is a ton of chinese knock off parts that look and are packaged EXACTLY the same.
Make sure it is an authorized distributor for them. And like mentioned earlier, it is best to send the brand new set into a good shop and pay to have them reset up so they all pop within 25psi of each other. In doing this they will correct any not misting properly. It is worth paying as much as the cost of them to get the fine tuning done. It will make the engine run smoother and will increase both power and mpg.

Have you checked leroydiesel.com

I forget the name of John Faddis company. I think he sells protested, balanced injectors. You'd have to verify that.

Just having them tested, isn't quite enough. It's not that much more to have them balanced.

Maybe contact the guy Marty used. Sounds like he did a great job on his injectors.

I've used a shop in Michigan several times, that did great work. Haven't contacted them in a while. Might not even be alive still. I did post contact info for them here several years ago.

I wouldn't use anybody that isn't specifically recommended by someone trustworthy.
There's a lot of people that don't do such great work and don't care.

Only buy parts from trusted sources. And sometimes that's no guarantee.

FWIW My last set came from Quadstar tuning and they tested fine out of the box.
I just looked at his site (fuel injection) and he has them in stock. At last he doesn’t show them as out of stock like other part listings. I can't post a link because he isn't a site vendor anymore.

I called Bosch and they told me why the major distributors of the injectors for the 6.5TD engine are out of stock. A representative at Bosch told me they are also out of stock and don't know when or if they will ever start producing them again.

After hearing that I went to my garage and pulled one of my injectors out to see what make they were and low and behold they are Bosch. I now have the right injectors for a rebuild that will have the correct pressure and spray pattern after they're finished.

Thanks to Will L., jrsavoie & Paveltolz for your come back.

I'm going to try to find a reputable place in Texas. I haven't given up on Tim at Accurate Diesel that has been recommended by many.

Keep us posted on Tim at Accurate Diesel. I just got off the phone with a friend who said his sources aren't happy with the balance between Bosch injectors they've been getting of late either...nozzles from India. If they're having issues, everyone is having them.
So much for trust...Buy, send out for balancing and cross fingers.

Still always a challenge! Sorry to hear about Tim at Accurate Diesel...I would be hesitant too!
I'm in the Austin area....and think there might be a trustworthy place to have the injectors repaired etc.. Thanks for your input!

Still always a challenge! Sorry to hear about Tim at Accurate Diesel...I would be hesitant too!
I'm in the Austin area....and think there might be a trustworthy place to have the injectors repaired etc.. Thanks for your input!
Sorry for any confusion but it’s not Tim people are upset with, it’s the quality of injectors sourced through Bosch with the “India” nozzles.

Back