• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can't get key in ignition, wheel locked, '93 K3500

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
I feel extra stupid not being able to accomplish the most simple of tasks, but in an effort to avoid insanity by repeated effort with no result, I'm asking for help here.

Truck is a 1993 K3500 Cheyenne 1 ton dump. Been picking away at it for the past 3 years, finally almost ready to get the engine in. While I have the space and before the engine goes in I want to verify that my steering wheel matches the gear and wheel position. The entire front end has been rebuilt including the GMT800 brake upgrade with GMT800 LCAs. I pulled the steering gear to replace the pitman arm and I've moved both knuckles back and forth every which way doing the brake upgrade. So naturally over several years I don't remember exactly where the wheels were positioned or where the pitman arm was on the gear when I pulled it.

Right now the steering wheel is clocked slightly to the left, roughly 10:30 position. The wheel is locked, and the lock cylinder is rotated all the way back counter clockwise into the lock position.

I can't get the key in at all, zero engagement, and quite frankly can't remember if the teeth face towards or away. These early year trucks also have a second little release lever further down on the column. Hitting/ toggling that switch while trying to get the key in every which way doesn't do anything. For fear of messing anything up further I haven't tried sliding a pick or anything else into the ignition. With my luck something would break off and I'd have to replace the entire tumbler, something I want to avoid.

Worth noting is that the truck presently has no brake pedal. System is dry from doing the front brakes and I'll be doing cylinders and shoes in the rear before bleeding everything. In other cars where the wheel lock has been a problem I recall having to apply pressure to the brakes while fighting the steering wheel and tumbler to unlock. In those cases though the key was already in the ignition. So I don't know if I need a pedal to break the wheel free or get the key in but it seems worth mentioning.

Any pointers/ suggestions on getting this basic step accomplished are much appreciated!

Thanks for the replies

So you're saying try to turn just the ignition lock tab to the unlock position while trying to break the wheel free?

On most old GM vehicles I've owned the key/ ignition gets to worn that you can pull the key out with it running. Must be how this got stuck in the lock position

I'll try what's suggested and report back

Does your column have that infamous lock release lever just below the key cylinder? some of the larger trucks of this era had one that you had to push down in order to turn the key back to full off position to remove the key. my 93 doesn't have this but I have seen ones that do. that mech can also cause issues if it gets out of alignment.

if what Will suggested doesn't work, you will need to pull the steering wheel and release the spring loaded lock plate, pull the turn signal switch to access the key cylinder and remove it. it sounds like the key cylinder is possibly fubar and has jammed up. or the gear behind it that pushes on the rods for the electric switch which also releases the wheel lock is jammed. it uses a pot metal aluminum gear which resides behind the key cylinder that you almost have to dismantle the entire column to get to it for replacement.

No luck getting anything to cooperate.

I'm a bit confused as I posted the same question over on the 'Page and someone replied that the lock position is the only position where you're able to get the key out. I think I remember this being the case. I had to push down on the lock release lever and rotate back counter clockwise to remove the key.

It seems with the wheel locked I can't get the key in. How am I supposed to break the steering wheel free? Does the brake system not being functional have anything to do with the wheel being locked?

I was hoping to be able to avoid pulling apart the steering wheel. I just don't understand how the key came out fine and now won't cooperate.

Here's a picture of the column showing the lock release lever. You can see the previous owner broke off one of the tumbler tabs. The tumbler also depresses in, I imagine I need to push this in while trying to turn it forward into the unlock position correct?IMG_9681[1].JPG

No luck getting anything to cooperate.

I'm a bit confused as I posted the same question over on the 'Page and someone replied that the lock position is the only position where you're able to get the key out. I think I remember this being the case. I had to push down on the lock release lever and rotate back counter clockwise to remove the key.

It seems with the wheel locked I can't get the key in. How am I supposed to break the steering wheel free? Does the brake system not being functional have anything to do with the wheel being locked?

I was hoping to be able to avoid pulling apart the steering wheel. I just don't understand how the key came out fine and now won't cooperate.

Here's a picture of the column showing the lock release lever. You can see the previous owner broke off one of the tumbler tabs. The tumbler also depresses in, I imagine I need to push this in while trying to turn it forward into the unlock position correct?View attachment 89666

this photo really looks like there is a key or something broken off in the lock cylinder already!

Back