• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bypass leaking AC Condenser with tubes.

Vlad_p01

Reaction score
In my RV (1996 Chevy P30 Chassis), the AC condenser in front of my radiator also cools my engine oil (apparently something about PAG oil, or something the previous owner did? Unsure). There is a leak in my AC condenser (small hole on the exposed left tube). I’m not finding this AC condenser for order. It’s October. For the moment, can I connect tubes from the radiator that bypass the leaking condenser altogether? Would the oil still cool? Is there a part (some types of tubes for that). I tried to plug the hole/crack from the outside with various welding seals. All failed. Is this a plausible idea I can use some type bypass tubes to resolve for the moment. Other ideas? Thanks. I’m not extremely savvy on this subject.

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 5
if that is engine oil on the hoses in your last photo, there should be a separate cooler aside from the ac condenser. two total different systems, for the ac condenser if it leaks refrigerant and your not wanting to replace right away it's not gonna harm anything leaving it alone, but engine oil is a whole nother ball game. Leroy sells cooler kits with hoses. the cooler should mount in front of the condenser and have two oil hoses that run to the engine connecting to the block near the oil filter. if one of those lines blow or the cooler goes, you can loose an engine in a hurry. that will need to be dealt with before driving anywhere!

Yes that’s engine oil. Seems I have a radiator, with an AC condenser stacked in front of it. But the AC condenser leaks black engine oil, where as I was expecting refrigerant (somehow the 2 systems flow engine oil. PAG oil? previous owner did something.?
When you say loose an engine, you mean all the oil would would leak out and the engine would be running with no oil? That’s what would lead to it? Or is there something else I’m missing?

being it's an RV, it's very possible there is a engine oil cooler combined as a portion of the AC condenser rather than a separate piece. does the AC work or have charge pressure? you can follow the AC lines going in and see if there are two more hoses on the condenser that go to the engine for oil.

Yes if its leaking engine oil you can loose the engine very quickly taking only seconds to dump 6+ quarts of oil out when running. Pag oil is clear or yellowish clear and is for the AC system. black oil is ether an AC system that's fubar or most likely engine oil and that condenser has a section in it that is an engine oil cooler. this might be why you can't find one. Many RV's are built with non-conventional parts which years later cannot be replaced with the exact part unless you happen to find one in a junk yard.

Most engine oil coolers look similar to the trans cooler that is pictured in the lower left in front of your electric fan. if you can locate the two hoses going to the engine block near the oil filter, follow them up to the front, I bet they go into what's leaking the oil. I would disconnect that section of the cooler and re-route the oil hoses to a cooler that can be mounted same as your trans cooler but to the right of it. steel braid hoses with AN style fittings are the best, but you can use oil cooler rated rubber hose and clamps with an aftermarket cooler.

For limited air flow you can also get you a small electric fan to put on the oil cooler if you have the room for it.

Here is the link to Leroy's oil cooler kit with hoses. I don't know the length of his hoses, with an RV I'm sure they will need to be longer than for a truck. you might have to just get the cooler and then have a local hydraulic shop make you a set of hoses the correct length. Hydraulic hoses will work and last a lifetime for engine oil.

Back