• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake adjustment on '95

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I know WarWagon had said he adjusts rear brakes on every or every other oil change and I have not been that diligent in this. When adjusting, do I just adjust until the shoe is barely touching the drum or do you guys use a go-nogo gauge of some sort? I assume if a person knows what they're doing, there is no need to jack up the rear end to get the tires off the ground - Is this correct?

'95 K2500 full floater

You use a screwdriver and slide the adjuster side to side to check for clearance. You want the adjuster to be able to slide about a n1/8 of an inch to almost 3/16" of an inch side to side. This is one of those adjustments though where they can be way loose at 1/4" of movement, but tightening them up to an 1/8" makes a huge difference. Just be carefull not to go to much or else you have to get a 2nd screwdriver(prefferably a small skinny one) to reach i nand push the self adjusting arm forward so you can back the adjuster off.

Ah, thanks. Hadn't thought of moving that side to side to check. I adjusted the shoes tighter using two screwdrivers, anyhow, since I couldn't remember which way to turn it. One side was stiff, at first, and I couldn't tell which way the arm prevented turning. It got free after a turn or two. The other side was nice and smooth.

Block front wheels and raise the rear off the ground. Adjust till you hear the shoes drag while spinning the wheel by hand. Back off a touch. You hear the adjuster click (tightening the shoes up) when turning it the proper direction and need to push off the lever with a second screwdriver to back it off. Apply and release the brakes and the recheck they are not dragging.

After this you check the parking brake cable by applying the parking brake and make sure the pedal is firm before going to the floor. Apply engine power to see how well the brake holds. You can sometimes overcome the brake adjusted properly with full power. Make sure your cables are in good shape as corroded unused cables may not release. (Visually note the before and after positions of the cable. Re-raise vehicle and check they they did release by spinning the tires if in doubt.) The adjustment is under the driver's seat on the outboard frame. Note it's a good idea to check that the adjuster isn't tight and holding the shoes before the above shoe adjustment.

Thank you, also, WarWagon. I adjusted and had forgotten just how nice it feels when the rears are functioning. I am back to where I barely have to put pressure on the pedal like it used to be way back when.

Back