• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blow-by out of dip oil stick at high RPM and boost

slowbutsteady

Reaction score
Hello All,

A few days ago I replaced the IP, harmonic balancer and CDR. I left the dog house off the vehicle so I could see if there were anymore problems. This morning oil started blowing out the oil fill dip stick at high RPM and boost while accelerating. It was black oil only.. no white. It blew out quite a bit as it smokes in the engine compartment and then make the vehicle not very driveable when the smoke starts pouring into the cab.

The engine boost starts to go a bit crazy when this happens. The engine is at about 2500-3000 RPM with a boost of 8 psi. When it hits the "blow-by" speed the boost starts to rapidily shake between 5 and 8psi.

I will put back on the old CDR tomorrow in case that is the problem. The engine has never done this before. It is a 6.5L turbo diesel (Hummer H1) with 60,000 miles on it.

I tried a test by connect a manometer to the oil fill tube. It is 0 at idle, and about 2" wc vacuum when at 2psi boost. Oil blows out when RPMS and boost are high.

Any suggestions before I dig into this again? I'd really like to get my truck on the road. It's been out for over 3 weeks and I'm starting to have withdrawal.

Installed the CDR backwards or wrong part # that flows in reverse of the one you have? Kinked CDR hose?

Edit:
Just read your IP thread.
You have gone from NA to turbo? If so you may have the CDR routed to the intake manifold and it's seeing boost pressure. So you are pressurizing the crankcase from boost. You need to route the CDR to the suction side of the turbo or dump it to a road draft tube.

The hummer should be stock w/ turbo.

All hummers up through 1994 n/a. 1995 optional turbo. 1996 and newer all got turbos.

Wow WarWagon you nailed it. Never even thought it could go in another way.

AThis is where experience pays off and all theyoutube videos in the world can't cover everything. I'll let you know how it goes. I had my son open the hood at home and sure enough it is backwards.

Back