• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best rebuild kit for a 4l80e

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on a good kit. links would be helpful. This is for my 94 plow truck. Started taking along time to go into forward gear (a lot longer when cold) and now I don't have 3rd either. No idea on the history of this tranny as I have only put maybe 500 miles on it since I got it but it's all been plowing.

Oil level and condition? Codes? May have something simple wrong with it.

Personally when I'm looking at a good stock rebuild kit, I look for one that has the properly spec's type clutches for the different clutch packs. For instance, your brown/tan clutches are a standard friction material, the green clutches are high energy types (better holding power/higher heat rating), and the red clutches (highest holding/highest temp rating),and blue (extreme duty). Different clutch packs have different requirements, with the OD clutch pack generally needing the best clutches. In our trucks, the OD pack had high energy clutches (green) from the factory, but many of the better kits come with the red clutches for better durability. I'll post a couple links below.
You will see some of the performance kits that come with all red clutches, or even a few that come with the blue (etreme duty) clutches, but the bottom line is you don't need those types of clutches in all the clutch packs, just the higher stress ones.
You will also see the economy kits that come with all brown/tan clutch, and these will not hold up in the long run.
Here are a couple of examples of properly spec'd kits.
Master kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-Trans...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b750c123&vxp=mtr
Same kit without bushings/bands
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-Overd...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564184ac0f&vxp=mtr
Similar kit minus steels
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-4L80E...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b750c1b6&vxp=mtr

where would a guy find the blue ones. only thing I'd really like to beef up is reverse and first, maybe 2nd

where would a guy find the blue ones. only thing I'd really like to beef up is reverse and first, maybe 2nd
The Blue clutches are considered race only, and are not intended for street use. The reds are your best bet if your really looking for a tough clutch.
Here is a link to the 4L80E apply chart, so you can better understand which clutches, bands, sprags, etc.. are engaged in different gears, as well as different gear selector positions. You will notice you have extra clutches applied for the same gear, just going from the OD position to the D position, and even more applied for the same gear going to manual 2, 1.
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4305-4L80E-Reference-Material

I like TRANSTAR kits myself from an actual trans shop. I will NEVER rol lthe dice on an EBAY kit again.

I like TRANSTAR kits myself from an actual trans shop. I will NEVER rol lthe dice on an EBAY kit again.

I was using the ebay kits as an example, but you can certainly get your supplies from a trans parts warehouse. I'm certain you already know this FERMANATOR, but transtar doesn't make their own clutches. They use either Raybestos, or Alto, just like all of your higher quality kits would.

Matt

I was using the ebay kits as an example, but you can certainly get your supplies from a trans parts warehouse. I'm certain you already know this FERMANATOR, but transtar doesn't make their own clutches. They use either Raybestos, or Alto, just like all of your higher quality kits would.

Matt
Yep, but they've been putting kits together long enough they know good combos to put together. I know there are some sellers out there selling stuff as TRANSTAR when it is there own kist thrown in a TRANSTAR box. I know my 1st trans build I went straight to a supply house and told em what I was building, and they set me up with what was supposed to be OEM cluthces and what not. 10K miles later the trans failed HORRIBLY! Took it apart and the clutches had all come apart and chewed up into crumlbes that had in turn plugged the converter up. Took the clutches to a local trusted builder, and he said he knew they weren't OEM clutches, and couldn't tell me what they were. Tried an Ebay kit, and got bit again, so only trusted part suppliers for me from now on.

Checked codes and had a code 81 in historic codes, which is a 2-3 selenoid circut error.So I ordered a solenoid kit from these guys, turns out it's cheaper and has free shipping if you buy it from their ebay store. Worst case scenario if it doesn't fix it I'll use it on the rebuild.

So what do you guys think? I didn't think it looked like a lot of material in the pan. Magnet has maybe 1/8" on it.

Most of the larger chunks were just greasy dirt. I had it sitting under the tranny as a catch pan for a bit. All back together now and so far so good. Have all the gears back and seems to shift into forward and reverse like it should. I did check out the screen on the force solenoid like brad suggested and there was some crud in it.

Back