• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

bad 6.5 crank and 6.2 donor?

hr47cars

Reaction score
My beloved 1994 6.5 Turbodiesel at nearly 400K spun a main bearing (I was told). horrible noise. Sitting in drydock several years. A friend will give me a 6.2 non turbo diesel . Might the crankshafts be interchangeable so I can save my otherwise great 6.5 ?

If that 6.2 has a 599 block then that crankshaft will be the same as what your 6.5 has because of the 1 piece seal design.A scat crank will work also if you go that route.

At the 400k mark- just a crank is unusual-It probably needs a full rebuild and possibly will cost more to be rebuilt than replaced. I suggest taking a little time to learn about things to do while apart. Gapless rings, roller rockers, getting away from original valve springs for some strong enough to resist floating when boosted, etc.

Some 6.2 used 1 piece and others used 2 piece rear main seal. The 6.5 use 1 piece as mentioned above.

At the 400k mark- just a crank is unusual-It probably needs a full rebuild and possibly will cost more to be rebuilt than replaced. I suggest taking a little time to learn about things to do while apart. Gapless rings, roller rockers, getting away from original valve springs for some strong enough to resist floating when boosted, etc.

Some 6.2 used 1 piece and others used 2 piece rear main seal. The 6.5 use 1 piece as mentioned above.
Likely correct. The current engine was a replacement of the first which was incorrectly diagnosed as being a bad engine- lots of issues with the amazing factory exhaust pipe being flattened at the rear of the engine, poor factory water pumps, etc- got this current one from the former diesel rebuilder in Georgia- so has only 300K miles or so on it, but even though I babied it, likely lots of wear with so many miles. That 2 wheel drive truck-now out of commission- was so much more comfortable riding than my replacement 1996 4 wheel drive version- and also had tall rear end gearing- nicer for highway driving. Rustfree Colorado king cab model, but not a huge demand for a 30 year old truck, I suppose. Some advise putting it on Craigslist and sell to someone wanting to stick a 350 engine in it and use it for a utility vehicle, but unclear on how our picky Colorado e testing would work in this regards . I truly appreciate and admire this website and input from others who aren't part of the 'throw away society' regarding their beloved trucks. Harland

Back