• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Backup lights for work trailer

I'm following all this and it's got me interested because usually I'm at a building that has exterior lights but every so often I'd like some extras. Mine isn't a box trailer though so I'd have to make up some fold up stands by my ramps and put the switch in the tongue toolbox with the trailer battery.
Thanks for the good tech work Sparky.
Ozzie, those mirrors are great for towing when you finally get used to 'em and when they're set where the work best for you. Best all around truck and trailering mirrors I've ever had but then I'm well over 100k miles with 'em on the 2 different trucks I've had them on.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got everything but this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036268
also, it sounds like you're planning on mounting this switch in the cab or something. You'll have to mount it at the trailer, unless you want to interupt the wiring to the trailer plug and run everything off from one relay. You'll have to make sure your relay is good for about 20 amps.

Uh-oh...I thought this setup was to have the switch on the dash...otherwise I need a separate wire to the trailer for the backup lights.
I can do that too but wanted to avoid it.

Does a diode only allow current to go in one direction? Could that be used downstream of the truck backups, so the truck backups don't get energized when turning on the trailer backups?

I told you I'm a rookie here...way over my head.

You could put a switch just inside the trailer door or get a sealed one and mount it right near the front of the trailer in a corner.
If you know about hydraulics/pneumatics, think of the diode as a check valve.

If you are only going to have one switch, you can do it in the truck. You'd just have to interupt the wire going out back to the trailer hitch. It would be better to run a bigger wire to that location though. The reverse lights on the trailer connection will still function like normal in one position. (If you did the on/off/on switch) and then you'd actually be able to manually turn on the reverse lights of any trailer you had on there.

does the trailer have a battery in it? if so just wire up the relay and switch to that battery, then you could turn on the lights even if the truck wasnt hooked up, you mentioned interior lights and could also run them too. or just put relay in box with trailer harness connector and tap into the +12 coming from the truck and add the switch in the cover of that box. there is endless possiblites!!!

it just comes down to your prefference, i would keep it all on the trailer. that way if you had to use a different truck for any reason your lights would still work.

just more ideas to consider.

does the trailer have a battery in it? if so just wire up the relay and switch to that battery, then you could turn on the lights even if the truck wasnt hooked up, you mentioned interior lights and could also run them too. or just put relay in box with trailer harness connector and tap into the +12 coming from the truck and add the switch in the cover of that box. there is endless possiblites!!!

it just comes down to your prefference, i would keep it all on the trailer. that way if you had to use a different truck for any reason your lights would still work.

just more ideas to consider.
I don't know about others, but my battery has a diode on the battery. Yes I could easily by-pass that and thought about doing so, but wanted to be sure the battery was good in the unfortunate case that I may need it.

...just a follow up on what I ended up doing...

Using relays and diodes proved too much on short notice...winter is upon us and I don't have time to experiment right now, so i ran a hot fused lead to the center of the 7 way and broke the connection on the truck side with a lighted switch under the dash. It's manual, but very functional and works great.
Maybe in the spring I can delve into this more if I want something different, but I just wanted to say thank you for the ideas.

Sure...I'll try to remember to do that. I don't like leaving the camera out in the cold truck all day, so it would have to be on a weekend.
I need some pics for the insurance man anyways as it's tough to remember all the different tools I have in there.

Shoot...you know you're right...they want a complete list of tools and model numbers too.
It looks just awful from dragging it around in the slop (snow & road slime)...but those backup lights work sweet!
I'm trying to figure out how to wash it...when I wash my truck I get locked out of my tailgate until the ice melts again.

I understand about the slop.:frown2: Wish you would quit sending it this way.:eek:11: It's a mess here now all the snow has melted off and is now all mud till mornin. or at least till it freezes tonight.

Would you believe we had rain over the weekend and now it's headed to the deep freeze?
-20 to -40 wind chills tomorrow. :eek: It looks like I'll be having the day off...

I did...finally...sorry about the delay, but winter was nasty, cold and too dirty for pics, but I finally got some...
Still going strong and even bright in the mirrors for backing. :smile5:

Attachments

• lights off.jpg
    lights off.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 18
  • lights on.jpg
    lights on.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 18
They look real good Ozzie. I never thought of high mounting them on the trailer. I bet they shed plenty of light to see with. Thanks for the pics, got me thinking about my trailer. Sorry to have taken so long to get back but been in and out of the hospital for the last couple of months.

I was doing a thorough spring clean up and repair since I bought this unit too late in the year to even wash it. The previous owner apparently didn't think washing was needed...so it was plenty crusty.
One of my backup lights had a broken ground connection.
I had just brought it home in the dark and with only one light I could see well enough to back up with the mirrors.

Sorry to hear about the hospital trips Schwind...hope things are better for you now.

Back