• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Backup lights for work trailer

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
I need them bad...the end of the work day is dark now, and backing that sow in the dark is no fun at all. I bought the 55 watters to hang on the back, but I don't remember which wire to connect to. I think it's the center wire of the 7 connector bargman on the truck. The trailer wiring shows the center as aux (it does have interior lighting that is hot with the trailer hooked up)....I'm confuzzled...:33:

I know I'll have to track it down, but I'm sure many of you guys have done this already, so I'll ask here to check.
I do have them on the truck running with reverse already and would like the same for the trailer. It's been a while and I don't remember how I hooked it up.
Is the center wire the one I want??

IIRC, the Wiring Schematic is on the Hinged Cover for the Plug. So you could just look on there and it'll tell ya what-is-what.

Thanks for the reply, but my truck got changed when I put on the after market hitch. Same plug though - I just don't have that cover.
I've got a printout around here somewhere...I just need a shovel to find it...LOL

Oooo ok, and my Truck is still in the Shop, or I'd run out and snap a Pic for ya.

I'll try to do some digging and find ya something.

Here's what I could find:

At the Trailer plug The connector is labeled on the body of the connector A thru G heres the pin out A- Back Up Voltage (lite green), B-Ground (white), C- aux. voltage (dark blue), D- Right Stop/Turn (dark green), E- Battery pos. voltage (red)(when connected to under hood fused stud) F-Park lamps (brown), G-Left Stop/Turn (yellow)

I found a link too... http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

That one shows the center as being commonly used as backup. I think what's throwing me is the fact the trailer has interior lighting and I'm thinking of that as auxiliary. That must be pulling from a different wire. Heh - I'm no wiring guru.

It ended up being the yellow on the trailer side (center). We opened up the box at the front of the trailer and there was the yellow wire sitting with a wire nut on it, we attached the backup wire to it and then ran the two 55 watters and we're good to go.
Now I have 2 55 watters on the truck and another 2 on the trailer. If it's at all like they are on the truck, I'll be able to see out of my mirrors just fine.

Those mirrors, btw, are a bit of a pain in the ass...they have the small convex at the bottom (towing mirrors), and I have a helluva time trying to get used to it. The sight lines are in the wrong place...

LOL...I like lights too...got 'em all over the place...it must be an affliction or something...
I'll be pulling up to the jobsite and plugging the trailer in...got charging stations, a micro, boombox, and lights off 110. I needed 110 so I don't kill my battery trying to light up the inside in the dark, so what the hey...
No picks yet, and the trailer is tucked away. I may have to go back to the storage area and plug them in to see what they look like. It's hard to appreciate them in the daylight.

You may want to check your lamps and find out how much power they use, not sure if the backup light feed to the trailer plug is up to that much power use. I could be wrong but its worth checking.

I was just going to suggest that. I don't know how much amperage you have available on the aux power, but you may want to use the aux power for the back up lights and use the reverse lights to pull in a relay. And if you do that, you can throw a diode on the reverse light wire, and run a switch to also pull in those lights. That way you can turn on the lights without needing to be in reverse. And when you turn them on by the switch, it won't backfeed to the truck.

OK I stole some diagrams and modified them to show what I mean. You don't need the ground it shows at the switch, unless you have a lighted switch.

Attachments

• relay-diagram.gif
    relay-diagram.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 21
  • wiring_7pole.jpg
    wiring_7pole.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 14
You guys are good...I was just thinking the same thing.
I ran the 55 watters off the backup switch for the truck no problem at all, but adding another two 55 watters to the same circuit for the trailer and I'm sure it'll be nothing but popping fuses. I may be better off feeding a separate wire and plug for those trailer lights.
Do I need to feed a new wire back from the fuse block?

I wouldn't even run the two 55 watters off the reverse wire, I'd def use a relay. And if you're gonna have 4 you have to have a relay, and that relay has to be capable of carrying the full load. Or what you could do is run two like I originally suggested for two of them, and then have another relay off from a switch only for the other two. That way you have two that can either run off the reverse lights or a switch, and the other two off of another switch. What ever you do, don't even run just two of them off a switch only (no relay). Two of them are going to draw about 9-10 amps.

Thank you for helping Sparky8370...
I like the idea of running both off the backup switch and a switch too.
This way I manually control the lights which could be helpful for short durations of job cleanup in the dark. I could use those lights independently.

I'm really a rookie when it comers to this stuff, so thanks for the tolerance...put a power tool in my hands though and I'm an animal...:D

I may have to seek out someone more skilled than I for an install of this - I printed out the diagram for reference...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Tell me exactly what you want to do, and I will draw a diagram and try and find some part numbers.
Do you want the reverse lights to control all the lights or half? Do you want one manual switch to activate all 4 or do you want 2 manual switches, one for each set?
You could also put in two on/off/on switches so that you could select whether you want them on with reverse or manual. One on position would be to activate them with reverse lights and the other position would be to activate them manually.

Ok, here's your new diagram. Hopefully it's big enough to read.
attachment.php

Attachments

• New diagram.GIF
    New diagram.GIF
    20.4 KB · Views: 78
Sorry Sparky8370...had to get to bed.

My best scenario is to run just the one lighted switch for the added backup on the trailer. To be triggered by engaging reverse, and also by use of the installed lighted switch.

I know you previously stated I need something different than what I have now, but previous to this work trailer backup thing my existing lights worked very well. If adding the new trailer backup circuit changes things, well that's another story. It's the old if it ain't broke thing I guess...

I really appreciate the time you are spending to help out...maybe with your help, diagrams, and part numbers, I can do it right and not need to hire someone. Just don't ask me how it works, 'cause I have no idea...

Thanks man...off to work I go...this sounds like a good project coming up over T'Day...the rest is all racked out and going into service today.

I picked up a relay, wire, an inline fuse, and a lighted switch along with fuses while I was out today. I got lost on the diode to get though ...no clue as to what I would need...
Just thought I'd try to get prepared in case I get some time to do it.
I looked at the fuse panel and I have a 15A circuit for rear wipers...hmm...no rear wipers on my pickup, so maybe I could get one of those piggy back connections to the mini fuses? That or the lighter...that one just runs internal goodies like phone chargers and the like. Pretty light load.

Looks like you've got everything but this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036268
also, it sounds like you're planning on mounting this switch in the cab or something. You'll have to mount it at the trailer, unless you want to interupt the wiring to the trailer plug and run everything off from one relay. You'll have to make sure your relay is good for about 20 amps.

Back