• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone Have A Good LB7 With Stock Tranny Tune?

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
A Kid I know wants me to Tune his Truck for him. It's an LB7 with a Stock Tranny.

He's got the PPE Standard now, so whatever Tune you have, needs to be more Powerful than that on it's Highest Setting which is 225hp.

I know even that isn't Safe on a Stock Tranny, but the Kid wants more, and I'm having him Sign a Waiver before I Plug In that he's on his own.

Last edited:
You can try my 40% over tune in the library. It isn't real hot, but it will feel faster than a PPE as it doesn't lag and smoke like a PPE will. To me it feels almost as fast as a PPE level 6 did I tryed, but it doesn't smoke and is very quick to light off the turbo. I don't think a stock tranny will be happy though as I just tore mine down and found damage to my C2's from running it. Explain to him that he can have mnore power, but it WILL come at a cost. PPE's tunes are smokey and laggy compared to others with the same HP, but it is that delay and smoke that allows the trans to hold up to them.

Just let him know that lively tunes that respond quickly tend to be hard on the trans whereas the slower reacting tunes give the ALLISON time to engage before the coal comes in. Also what year is it? If it is an 01(or even an early 02), then an upgrade to an 02 6006 is well worth doing.

What's an '02 6006?

He Blew the Motor & Tranny in it, so he just did a Swap, but it's still an LB7, just don't know what the Years are.

The 6006 is the latest 02 operating system before they went to the 044 in 03 and 04. Depending upon what year the truck is(and wethere it has the latest flash or not) will dictate what OS it has in the ECM. I believe 01 had 4 or 5 different ones, and 02 had 3 or 4 before GM went to the 044 in 03.

If you decide to tune this one for him, post up the stock tune and I'll let you know if you should update it or not. If you want to, I can go through and tame my 40% tune down some down low but leave the top end in it for you. Or make a smaller tune. 1850(my 40% tune is 1950) is the accepted max for a LB7 with a stock trans to live a little on the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-4 shifts. Many have run big tunes on stock trannies, but you have to remember to let off before it shifts into 4th, and be gentle on the downshifts in the upper gears.

The Motor is an '02 with only 62k Miles on it.

...and now he only wants around a 100hp Tune, but Smokey.

The Motor is an '02 with only 62k Miles on it.

...and now he only wants around a 100hp Tune, but Smokey.

What year is the truck? Need to know what operating system is in the TCM. When he says smoky, does he want it to smoke when he flat foots it, or does he want it to bellow smoke when he gets on it? The MAF table can be maxed out out and make it bellow smoke out when you get on it, but once boost builds the smoke will dissipate. Or you can retard the timing back and make it smoke up high, but it will feel laggy and use fuel like a pig with retarded timing.

He wants it to only Smoke when he gets on it. Normal Driving, little to no Smoke.

Basically, keep it Smoking the whole time his Foot is on the Floor.

The Truck is an '01 with an '02 Motor & Tranny.

If the truck and ECM is an 01, then it will most likely benefit ALOT from a full flash to an 02 operating system in the ECM. If you tune it post up the stock tune and what he wants and I can tweak my tune a bit for yeah. It may take me a couple of days to adjust it out for yeah, but I don't mind helping out so long as you don't need it in a rush.

Back