• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any welders out there ??

Acesneights1

Reaction score
So I tried to fire up my Lincoln Ranger 8 today. It woud not run save for pouring gas down the carb. So I figure the carb is screwed up. I get a kit(50$ Ouch). Rebuild it. Still won't run. If it sits for a few mins it tries to kick off on it's own. Fuel Pump is working. Well there is a sol/plunger deal on the carb that apparently is not getting any power regardless of where i have the high idle/auto switch. I put power to the sol on the carb...Viola. It runs beautiful , but wide open(high like if welding). Obvioulsy this is the problem.
Now, my questions. If there is no power to the sol shouldn't it atleast idle or does it require some power and the switch is somesort of resistor deal ??
I pulled the side cover off. As far as I can tell with the Machine switch on there is no power going to the high idle switch. The 3 wires coming off it disappear into the harness. I know this thing gets triggered by demand so where do I start looking ? What could be wrong ?

One of the service trucks at the irrigation company I worked at had a Ranger 8 on it. I remember the vibrations fatiguing the wires at the terminals for the idle select switch, theirs had a toggle, I would assume yours does too. Not sure if there is a resistor inline on the auto setting.

Have you googled around to see if you can find a wiring diagram?

Plot thickens. I was outside testing some stuff with the wiring diagram from Lincoln. It's not the high idle that is affecting it. It's the fuel shutoff sol. Not getting power. Also if I put power to it it will run but the welder is not putting out any juice. Circut board ?? How much does a new one cost ? Still available ?

Follow-up, there is a .pdf here: http://www.joeswelding.biz/info/LincolnRanger8.pdf Page 31 is the start of the machine's wiring. Any chance that applies to your model? That one is for Onan/Kohler powered welders.

EDIT: I see you have one, okay. PC Board... if you can find the P/N I'd start with ebay, then branch out from there unless someone has a better idea.

I have a Miller which would be similar to the Lincoln with an Onan engine.

Sometimes when I haven't used mine in awhile it won't trigger the high idle so I have to manually switch it. It's a sticky current sensor or exciter as I've heard it called. It will however runs fine at an idle.

I would clean up your connections at the switches and any sensors before I spent any money on it. The cold weather really screws with them if they aren't used regularly.

I'm not sure from your post but it wouldn't hurt to remove the float bowl and clean it out, you could have crud and ice in it.

carb is clean and rebuilt. It runs fine if I put power to the fuel shut off sol.
I'm pretty sure it's the PC board. Too many symptoms.
No power to Fuel sol
Machine is not putting out juice

Back