• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any trick ways to clean the AC evaporator.......................

gnel

Reaction score
while its connected in the truck? I really don´t want to take it all apart. I can reach in from the blower motor and feel all the crud. I´ll go out and try to vac it out but it feels like the evap is clogged with mud? Thanks to all gus

I did mine while the dash was out. A/C shops have a condenser cleaner you spray on and hose off. Then I'd blow it out real good too.

Pull the blower motor out, find somebody with TINY hands like an 8 year old, reach in and get all out that you can, if you can get a small piece of 1" hose and hook it to a vacuum and reach in and get out what little bit more you can, and then wash it out with some A/C coil cleaner. I would make sure NOT to use one that is an acid base as it is nearly impossible to wash it all out. Others have tried foaming oven cleaner, but it can leave a smell.

Mine's coated with the mud, too. I taped a garden hose onto my shop vac hose and put it through the opening as well as I could, but it didn't get much. That stuff gets caked on the fins and sticks pretty well. I didn't use any chemical cleaners on it for concern of making the condition worse or making no gains at all.

I did the same as above: pulled the fan and did it through the opening. First dry, then cleaned out the drain hole, then used cleaner and kept a shop vac handy. Made a huge difference. Probably due again his spring. Funny how these trucks want to be pulled apart every few years and loved on.

Hey chefmike where is the drain hole located? I didn´t see it. Thanks gus
It comes through the firewall just below the accumulator. it should have a 90 degree rubber elbow on it to prevent water from running back down the tube and inside.

When I had mine apart I thought about adding a cabin filter. Never did, but it should help the mud from forming so fast.

I can't find the drain hole. Do I have to remove the radiator resevoir? Or can I get to it from underneath the truck? Oh and is this drain always open or is it a valve of some sort? Thanks again g

It's always open. It is right under the accumulator on the firewall. You should be able to see it through the wheel well opening on the passenger side I believe.

Back