• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Antifreeze Dont Get Discussed Much

MrMarty51

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post about My method of disposing of antifreeze, I call prestone for some odd reason, and of pouring the stuff down the drain of the city sewer system.
This is a safe practice for anyone that needs to get rid of what they may have.
Probably not a hundred gallons at a time but five dont hurt the system, at least in the modern processing plants.
I do not know how that would fair in an old fashioned, small community sewer lagoon system thats open to the air and evaporation methods. So be sure to check with Your sewage service provider before dumping in mass quantities into such as the lagoon system.
One thing to never do is to store any type of antifreeze in an open container, ANYWHERE ! ! ! !
I dont care if You are an animal lover or, if You hate every type of a critter thats ever been bred.
Absolutely do not store antifreeze in any open containers, any where.
My friend, Steve, he is like a younger brother, or even a son to Me.
Now I am not particularly fond of wolves, in any way shape or form.
Steve He has always had a fascination towards them critters and so I am tolerable towards his feelings of such. As a matter of fact, it was his not so distant ancestry that created Pacific Hides and Furs.
Anyhow, Steve searched the continent and found the dog that was as close to a pure blood wolf as could be legally held captive.
He brought his dog home from, IIRC, Michigan or somewhere in the near area, as a playful puppy.
Steve was working odd jobs wherever He could find employment but then studied up and got His CDL license and went to work driving truck for the Montana DOT and doing road maintenance.
He was home almost every day and took real good care of his dog.
He then got the position as the section man about 30 miles south of town.
He loved that job as He is a loner and dont need other people. Just He and His dog living out in the wild and doing his job.
Winter plow season come along and steve always very conciensous of his position was always right on top of the tasks, keeping the drifting snows cleared from the road of His section, about 120 mile round trip.
One of the hazards of the 7500 GMC truck that was assigned to Him is the chips and gravel that the plow picks up and it then has a system of puncturing radiators.
The shop super had had a meeting and any time one of us mechanics made a mess in a shop it is part of our duty to clean up that mess and leave the outlying shops in no worse, or even in better state of clean than when we arrived.
Me being a mechanic in the same division, one morning the super comes to Me, load up a spare radiator for Steves truck, pack along plenty of antifreeze and go out to the beaverslide section and swap out radiators, his has some puncture wounds.
Okay, happy to get to go see My friend Steve, I load up and take off.
I get there and Steve is in the house, I dont bother Him, open the shop and back in the service unit.
Open the radiator drain cock and catch what little remaining antifreeze there was. Not much, maybe a gallon, the rest had leaked out onto the shop floor.
I finish the job, back out the truck And the service rig, water being scarce at this site I dump on copious amounts of floor dry and get the mess sopped up.
I begin scooping the mix into the waste barrel and Steve comes out to the shed, dont worry about that, I’ll clean it up when I get back in from plowing, I’ll need something to kill some time anyhow.
I told Him thats not how it works, each mechanic is suppose to clean up out own messes.
He again tells Me that He will clean it up, well okay, if You insist.
That was on a Friday.
Next day, Saturday, steve calls. I had to put Brutus down, WHAAAT ! ! ! !
He then tells me that He had put the dog in the shop before He went back out plowing, the dog had ate a bunch of that sweet smelling prestone and Steve didnt realize the fact of the repercussions of such a fatal, and very very painful action.
By the time He realized that the dog was sick, got him to town, the vet came out in an emergency such as this and it was a long and painful battle that Brutus had fought, the Vet told Steve, we did every thing that could possibly be done for the dog, it would be better now to put him down and end this pain. And so Steve did that.
He has not had another animal since that time.
And so, if someones animal is being a pest, do not attempt to put it down in such a fashion, just shoot the critter and be done.
Oh yeah, My two sons and I would go out and hang out with Steve, hunting or just driving and hiking, exploring. My two boys had become very fond of that dog, with a head in diameter as big as a 55 gallon barrel is open. They were both mighty sad about loosing their friend that they could lay on and ride like a horse.
I am very careful as to how I store My antifreeze. Keeping it in closed and sealed containers that no critter can get a access into.
That incident showed and taught Me a very valuable lesson that I may remember even into dementia.
It is said that the formula of antifreeze has been changed and that it no longer has that sweet taste and smell to it.
I bought two brand new jugs of antifreeze the other weeknor two ago. I tipped My finger into it and took a taste. That is correct the flavor has changed, there is this sort of a bitter taste to it, with an undertone of sweet. Take no chances.

Any spare antifreeze that is still good and I want to save. It goes back into an antifreeze container and is marked, 50/50 or whatever strength I set it to.
Usually 60% antifreeze, or 55% and then either 40 or 45% water.
Here is the pour bucket that I use for pouring and storing antifreeze in.
IMG_0269.jpeg
And this is the cover to keep the critters from having a drink.
Folgers container cover, piece of fairly stiff wire so the cover can be swung out of the way and a sheet metal screw to latch it all solidly down with.
IMG_0270.jpeg

Back