• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AC sometimes doesn't turn off?

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
I wasn't sure i this was the right forum for AC, so I figured I'd go by my truck model.

I've noticed sometimes when I turn the AC off, it still seems to be running and I'm not sure if it actually does turn off. Even after shutting the engine off for a few minutes, I get in and have just the fan blowing, the air flow still feels cold.

How can I make sure the AC is really off? Any settings where it sort of runs when I think it should be off?

For the compressor to be off:

-Not on AUTO
-No snowflake on display
-Not on DEFROST
-Not on RECIRC

Any of the above will turn the compressor on. Basically if you hit the AC button in auto mode, it should turn off the ac and take it out of auto. Kicking the AC in automatically in recirc mode is a GM thing from as far back as I can remember. Most imports don't do that.

Thank you sirs...:tiphat

I keep trying to listen or feel for signs of the compressor, but it's hard to hear from under there..

It could be blowing cool air as it does take time for the evaporator unit to warm up, so it isn't instant, but it isn't slow either.

In my 07 LBZ, I noticed this morning (it was cold here - 83 degrees! lol and very overcast) so I turned off the A/C and about ten minutes later I could have cut diamonds with my nipples! Digital temp probe in the duct was still hovering around 40-42 degrees - the A/C button was off and the light was off.
As mentioned above, I had to turn off recirculate to actually stop the compressor.

My 99 Tahoe would run the a/c with just hitting the recirc button. My 2000 Grand Prix GTP would do the same. My 04 LLY also did it as well as my current truck. Even 9C1 Impalas do it too. I would say it's definitely a GM thing.

Back