• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ac ? How much oil goes in accumulator.

hookedup50

Reaction score
Now that I got thye hvac box out and replaced evaporator and heater core while I was there, also blend doors that were rotten. Any way all the AC units are new and putting fr4esh pag oil in compressor ect. M y question is approximatly how much oil goes in the accumulator?. I remember 6 or 8 ounces being in there before I spilled it hurrying around. I can't find my notes on the matter either. From there I will put vac on system and add 134. I know its 10 degrees out, but I was sick last summer so my things are winter projects now. Thats been the story of this whole build. Thanks again, this site has been awesome and if everybody wasn't scattered across the continent I would through a peach moonshine party from this years crop. I don't know why I make it, cause I don't drink.

The system holds 8 onces total. If your new compressor was filled, then it will most likely have a full oil charge in it. I like to drain the compressor out, put 4 onces in it, 1 in the condenser, 1 in the evap, and 2 in the condenser. You just want to make sure there is enough oil charge in the accumulator so as to not get a oil free blast of charge to the compressor during charging. Also, unless your charging it with a charging machine, you will not be able to charge the system until the ambient temps is above 40 or so. And even then, you will need temps close to 80-85 to do a very accurate charge.

Thanks. I guess I will wait till a hot day in spring. I won't see anything near that till maybe April or May. I'll print this and wait.

An upate and question on AC. I Properly set up system and put a vacuum on system and the vacuum held on the guage for hours while I was burning brush out back. I recharged the system and it works. My next question is about reading somewhere on here about isulating the accumulator and hoses from the downpipe. I can't finf the thread with pics. I already have a turbo blanket, so what are people using to make AC more efficient.

I went down to lowes and bought some 1/4" thick self adhesive backed foam insulation. Wrapped the accumulator and low side lines in it, and then wrapped foil tape around it to be extra safe. It made a HUGE difference while towing for A/C performance. Before insulating I had to run it on recirc, and fan speed 3 to keep it cool inside towing with engine temps around 205 in 85-90 degree ambient air temps. After insulating I could run it on outside air, fan on 1 or 2 in 95-98 degree ambients with engine temps running around 205-210(the DURAMAX runs warmer than 6.5ers are used to running).

Thanks Ferm, When I was putting everything together, I realized why you would insulate The AC components near a big heat source. It will be awhile before I need AC here in the N. East, as Spring has taken the year off. I just want to have it ready.

Back